Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 2481 times)

alan

Vortex
« on: May 24, 2006, 09:24:16 AM »
Hi fellow yogis and yoginis (love those words)

I've been doing yoga for less than a year and have been becoming slowly more aware of the energy movements.
But lately, usually after a session but not always, I've been experiencing a curious thing. I'll be going about my chores and suddenly a dizzying "vortex" of a thick column of energy turns inside of my head. It makes me feel like either I'm turning or the world is turning around me. It comes out of nowhere and moves with purpose. It moves upward, feels huge and alive, and courses thru me a few times. I sit down and become very still and watchful. The presence of it lasts awhile. After it subsides I'll feel joyful and peaceful. I only feel it in my head and back of my neck and I think it always turns one direction. It feels bigger than me. For a while after I'll feel my crown tingling. No doubt this is kundalini. Anyone experience it like this? Just curious if anyone has any pertinent info.

Peace, alan

yogani

• AYP Plus
Vortex
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:11:25 PM »
Hi Alan:

Yes, a whirling can happen and is not uncommon in energy movements associated with purification. It can be whirling in both directions at the same time too -- ascending and descending. If there is disorientation or dizziness it usually will pass pretty quickly. If it gets to be too much, you know what to do -- self-pace...

The guru is in you.

lucidinterval1

Vortex
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
Hello Alan,
You should feel fortunate that this is happening so soon. That must be the result of some past life conditoning. As Yogani says, keep an eye on self paceing.

All the best!
Paul

david_obsidian

Vortex
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:54:19 AM »
Welcome back Paul!  Haven't seen you in a while,  I believe....

alan

Vortex
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:45 AM »
Thank you yogani and Paul.

When I read that the whirl can go in both directions at the same time I reflected on the movement in me and realized that the energy does go both directions at the same time (up and down), not just up. The simultaneous up and down force is probably what causes the disorientation.

A couple of questions: When I read of kundalini events they seem to be along the entire spine. Why only in the head for me at this point? Does this have any meaning as to what is being purified? Is there full spine kundalini events in the waiting?

And Paul, Is this really considered soon to be experiencing this? I am of the opinion with quick kechari ability and other indications show that past life conditioning may be so. I only wish that extended to lotus asana (or even half lotus[:D])

I'm wondering if my not too distant addiction to maximum cc's of meth injection so as to "pop" the top of my head, get a major buzzing and rush and sometimes nearly pass out, then go go go, then drop drop drop[:)] might have been my past life conditioning?[:)] Interesting, eh?  Yoga is so much more real, alive, now, healthy, etc. etc. etc.

Peace, alan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:56:53 AM by alan »

alan

Vortex
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:50:17 AM »
By the way, I understand that everything experienced is just conditioning for the ultimate "goal".  As a matter of fact the "ultimate goal" is always being realized by me in all the little yet monumental daily experiences of beauty, peace, and continuing growth into being awakened into awareness, and sharing these with the rest of creation.

It is nice though to be experiencing some purification. It helps whittle away the old jones[:)]

Peace, alan

Jim and His Karma

Vortex
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:37:17 AM »
Alan, there's no reason to think this won't remain a mild and pleasant effect. But bear in mind that ajna (third eye) is effectively the control center for your body's energy systems. Get acquainted (if you haven't already) with sambahvi mudra and go to that if you ever feel like the energy is in any way disruptive. Sambahvi helps reestablish the root-to-third-eye pathway (which you're alread reinforced via spinal breathing), and that keeps things nicely on the table, so to speak. No need to fight anything or seek to over control these things, but it's nice to have a safe ground to go to, so just keep this on reserve in the back of your mind as a "break glass in emergency" option.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:38:04 AM by Jim and His Karma »

alan

Vortex
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:56:26 AM »
Thanks Jim for your advice[:)]

One of my kriyas is that pathway. I should be safely covered in the emergency department[:)]

Thank you[:)]

alan

lucidinterval1

Vortex
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »
Alan,

I know lots of people into yoga and meditation that do not experience any energy movements after years of practice. But the spinal breathing is a very powerful tool. Practice wisely especially if you have an addictive nature.

David,
Thanks for the welcome back. I was spending a little time in a parrallel universe.......

cosmic_troll

Vortex
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:50:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by alan

As a matter of fact the "ultimate goal" is always being realized by me in all the little yet monumental daily experiences of beauty, peace, and continuing growth into being awakened into awareness, and sharing these with the rest of creation.

Hi Alan,

I haven't experienced the whirling vortex, but have felt a minty freshness in my spine (simultaneous warm + cool currents), along with the crown tingling you mentioned. Do you get nausea with the dizziness? I couldn't imagine that being pleasant...

You have a wonderful way of articulating your experiences.

peace

alan

Vortex
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:25:45 AM »
Hi Cosmic;

Writing words can be fun, you know. They do tend to get in the way though with captain ego at the helm.

I don't get nausea. It feels "good", a little scary/exciting. It feels good because I can feel real things (life force) moving, shifting purifying. It brings peace and watchfulness and some awe. It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once a week.

I've just barely begun to feel hot/cold currents. The minty fresh sounds good. Hope I get that. It's all good, eh?

Good sadhana to you, alan[:)]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:33:47 AM by alan »

yogani

• AYP Plus
Vortex
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 02:05:07 AM »
Hi All:

The minty sensation in the spine and elsewhere is a sign of the GI tract getting into the act, with higher digestion occurring in there, producing a refined somatic ("of the body") substance that permeates the entire nervous system. It is essentially the sexual function refining, combined with increasing porousness of the body tissues due to pranayama, mudras and bandhas. Then food, air and sexual essences combine to produce the alchemy of the somatic substance. It happens in the GI tract and can be felt in the spine during spinal breathing, and eventually all the time. It is what is behind other ecstatic sensations occurring from head to toe as well. It is the actualization of the "cool and warm currents" in spinal breathing that we begin priming with the cool and warm sensations of breath. The mint has a glow to it and is the manifestion of the manipura chakra in the belly too, which means "city of gems." It all ties together like that.  

Mint (or liniment) is both cool and warm, yes? That is the sensation, with a glow and rising ecstatic quality as well. It is the stuff of ecstatic conductivity and radiance coming alive. It even whirls, and we may notice that before the minty sensations. It can be coming in any order and in any part of the body, depending on the unique course of our purification.  

Fortunately, we do not need an in-depth intellectual understanding of the process to conduct this operation. We just do the easy daily practices with dedication, and in time it happens. Bravo for that!

This is why we talk about the option to do the cool and warm current thing in spinal breathing, and everything else associated with awakening ecstatic conductivity. May the mint be with you. [8D]

The guru is in you.

alan

Vortex
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 05:00:15 AM »
Thanks for the words of caution Paul. I shall walk the shusumna path with a cool head and eye open[:)]

The only real addiction I have had is in dwelling in the constructs of king ego in maya-land. The addiction I am cultivating to replace that is a growing focus on God.

Peace, alan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:09:55 AM by alan »

Jim and His Karma

Vortex
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »
I"ve taken a break for  a few months from spinal breathing (because of concerns of pitta overload). I'm just restarting it, to huge effect (much more than before).

I never got any of the stomach jewels or anything close to it. I yearn to be minty fresh, though all things in due time I suppose. I'm wondering if it's my cessation of spinal breathing that's kept this from happening. Or maybe it's just not my time for it.

alan

Vortex
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
Hey, I think I know what you were getting at, Paul, about watching the addictive tendancy.

I'm not addicted to the practice (yet). I often have to make myself go and do it. But when I get things flowing in pranayama I do tend to go longer than prescribed by my teacher. Seems I like the rush. Imagine that![:D] Just can't get enough of that sugar crisp!
Guess that could have something to do with the inner vaccuum tornado thing. I'll keep my Eye on it!

Peace, alan