Author Topic: I am in love again...  (Read 1754 times)

NagoyaSea

I am in love again...
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 03:55:12 AM »
Meg and Ether,

If you’re interested in dark matter, there is a good article on Einstein and his theories including dark matter and dark energy in the May 2005 National Geographic magazine. Your library may have it.

Cosmologists are speculating that ours isn’t the only universe.  Some of the points of the article state:
•   There are an infinite number of beginnings and sequences of universes.
•   Relativity implies that time/space can stretch to vast dimensions from a tiny starting point
•   Each big bang is the start of a new universe and no two will be alike. The laws of physics will work differently in each universe. They will have different forms of matter and varying numbers of dimensions.

The article goes on to day that the substance that holds galaxies together and keeps stars from flying apart is known to scientists as ‘dark matter’.  They think it is like a web-like structure or scaffolding and galaxies form at the densest part of the dark matter.  The article says that dark matter‘s gravity wrinkles time and space and bends light rays.  They estimate dark matter makes up to 90 percent of the universe’s mass.

Measurements indicate the stretching, expansion of the universe is speeding up and in some twenty billion years all matter in the universe could be torn apart, down to the atoms comprising it. The energy counteracting gravity is called “dark energy” and may ultimately be stronger than the forces that hold the universe together.

“A cosmic web of dark matter is now thought to have governed where galaxies formed. Dark matter if the universe’s hidden architecture, and gravitational lensing is one of the few practical ways to see it. An effect Einstein thought insignificant has become a key astronomical tool”.

“Theorists have dusted off his discarded cosmological constant.” Astronomers are beginning to think that one of Einstein’s biggest blunders was actually one of his greatest successes. This constant Einstein saw as a way to steady the universe, but if its repulsive effect (dark energy) was strong enough, it would accelerate the spreading apart of the universe.

It goes on to talk about the ‘theory of everything’.  Good article, worth the time to read.

Light and Love,
Kathy

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
I am in love again...
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 04:06:52 AM »
Jim - yes, morning is my live online time.  Okay, point well taken that "If you lean into pain, learn from pain, reflect on how pain has helped, etc etc, you're still highly engaged with the pleasure/pain dichotomy."  Ideally we do well to move toward the goal of nondifferentiation between pleasure and pain; we aim for that.  But in practice it's a knee-jerk reaction to pull away from that which creates friction.  It can't be helped, like a hand that pulls away from a flame.  We can LEARN to counter this, and treat all events equally, and I think that's what Pema Chodron is all about - teaching people like me how to do just that (or if not how, why).  The 'leaning in to' may seem excessive and unnecessary, but it's only to counterbalance our natural tendency to pull away from.  Eventually there is just the firm, grounded stance when facing all and everything.

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
I am in love again...
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 04:25:50 AM »
Thanks for the lead, Kathy.  You should apply for a position at the new Dark Matter Institute in the Silicon Valley!  :)

Jim and His Karma

I am in love again...
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 05:20:05 AM »
Meg, without getting into a theological/intellectual big thing over this (makes my brain hurt), Chodron IS suggesting this as a full-blown spiritual practice. I'm going to mammothly over-simplify here, but Tibetan Buddhists try to "break themselves of the habit" of deeming things good or bad by learning to embrace and desensitize to "the bad stuff". It's also what drives a lot of ascetics (seen most extremely in a few sadhus in India who eat uncooked human corpses, which to my understanding is a way of "working into" the mindset of no barriers, no taboos, nothing in the universe unembraced).

It's an understandable tack, and far more spiritually advanced people than I have pursued it. But, in my opinion and my limited view, it's not worth taking a lifetime to open yourself up to things one by one, diligently examining and challenging assumptions about what attracts and what repels. I opt to simply let go of the entire categorization process and let it fade into its own vaporousness. I'm not a believer in going left to balance a tendency to go right. I'd rather just float and lose all tendencies into the Now.

I prefer not to dance with delusion in order to dispel it, and I don't consider such work an effective launching pad to dropping the whole thing. The muck is the muck, and I'd prefer to transcend it rather than to muck around in it, patching and repairing. This is what, if I understand correctly, AYP teaches.

Don't just do something....STAND THERE!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:36:54 AM by Jim and His Karma »

david_obsidian

I am in love again...
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 05:41:54 AM »
Meg said:
Pema Chodron writes a lot about leaning into the pain; not pushing it away, but letting it envelope you and be your teacher.

I've been agreeing with you all the way Meg,  on this issue.  I see Pema Chodron's advice here as advice on a matter of tactics.  I have found this insight from Buddhism to be very helpful.

I've found it to be a good departure from (and good counterweight to) the common yogic emphasis on 'bliss'.

Jim said:
There are many ways I prefer Buddhism to the Hindu and/or yoga models/approaches. This isn't one of them.
If you lean into pain, learn from pain, reflect on how pain has helped, etc etc, you're still highly engaged with the pleasure/pain dichotomy. And it's a false dichotomy.

If there is no engagement with the pleasure/pain dichotomy,  no spiritual practice will be found to be necessary or entertained.  So to suggest that people who do Pema Chodron's practice are still highly engaged with the pleasure pain-dichotomy is almost a tautology:  anyone who is in any spiritual practice is "still highly engaged with the pleasure/pain dichotomy".  So let's not single out Pema Chodron's advice because those who practice it are engaged in a pleasure-pain dichotomy.

Jim said:
Chodron IS suggesting this as a full-blown spiritual practice

She's giving some advice.  Is there a distinction between a full-blown spiritual practice and some advice on how to reverse some negative habits which arise out of excessive resistance to pain?
 I don't know what it is,  or if she makes it.  I certainly don't.

One more bit for your hurt head,  Jim.  [8D]  If it hurts your head,  try leaning into it.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:59:16 AM by david_obsidian »

Jim and His Karma

I am in love again...
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 06:29:51 AM »
David, no issue with Chodron, his advice, or Meg's recommending it. As I said above, whatever gets people through a bit of heavy suffering is good.

I'm just suggesting that people who delve into such things consider and bear in mind my perspective that they're grappling with ghosts, and that it is possible to escape the delusion.  That escape doesn't require enlightenment....a lot of it happens before (I'm nowhere near enlightened, however I suffer only like 10% as much as I used to). So this transcendence is much closer to hand than people think. In fact, it may (with AYP) be faster than delving into the muck to make adjustements therein. Oh, and my explanation of the post-processing was intended to give a little hint/nudge.

That's all. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:40:56 AM by Jim and His Karma »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
I am in love again...
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »

Shanti, I'm so delighted for you, this love is truely all we need.[:)]
Louis

(This post was edited by Sparkle because he considered the content irrelevant to the thread)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:14:34 AM by Sparkle »

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
I am in love again...
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 11:18:35 AM »
quote:
Alvin said:
Although it doesn't mean that I can DO (or actually, undo) it. Everytime I'm in a "bad" state, I would feel frustrated and confused. I hate those moments. I keep finding ways to create a better state, and yet because I am too attracted to that, that I fail to live my life; that I fail to appreciate what's happening at the moment.
But, I have no control over my frustration and confusion. I just don't know what to do when it happens. What to do at THAT moment.

Alvin my heart goes out to you. I went through this feeling of helplessness for years. I guess I told you before that I lost too much of my life to this feeling.. always looking for something to make my life better.. feeling sorry for myself, trying analyze and reason with depression, why ME...  I think by doing this I was feeding the monster..  Truthfully, I don't even know if I am really over it.. the breakdown I had a week back was a reminder of where I could be.. and where I was.. for many years of my life. I wish I could wave a magic wand and tell you.. there its all better now.. but I don't have one. All I will tell you is meditate and do spinal breathing... these are the only 2 things that worked for me. Talk to us whenever you are feeling low.. read books that inspire you.. listen to music.. Go for a walk.  One book that inspired me a lot was "Many Lives Many Masters" by Brian Weiss. The line that stuck in my head was.."everything is energy.. so much of it is wasted when we  fear the present"... really.. so much wasted energy.. so much is lost to depression.
Alvin, I know none of this is really helping.. but just stick to it, just stay with the "i am".. on a day you need extra help, talk to us.. this will go away.. I know it will...
Here is a big (((((HUG)))) to make it a little better... Smile always...[:)] even when it hurts.. (I know, not everyone here will agree with me on that.. just try it.. smile).

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
I am in love again...
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 06:33:53 PM »
Alvin wrote:

quote:
But, I have no control over my frustration and confusion. I just don't know what to do when it happens. What to do at THAT moment.

Yes, Alvin. This is it. You still think you should know what "to do" when THAT happens. Meditation slowly trained my mind to accept this "not knowing". One day I simply got it (worn out and tired of my own stryggles): I WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT TO DO !

How does that make you feel?
Whatever it is - this feeling is what you are running from. And as long as you run, it will keep following you. Sit down. Be still. And watch it instead. Get to know it. Is it there at all? Can you pinpoint it? Can it exist without the story you tell about it?

The reason it took me so long was the fact that I didn't trust nature. I thought I was on my own,- cut off from the rest of the universe.  Meditation slowly increased my awareness. I slowly became aware of subtle things. Slowly I started to accept that there was in fact something in me/around me that I had not seen or felt before. I didn't accept it because I was told to. I accepted it because of what I experienced.

Alvin. You are right where you are.

May all your Nows be Here

alan

I am in love again...
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 05:10:26 AM »
alvin, my boat plys the same waters.  accept the now i am in, meditate daily and peace becomes the moment, is the course i choose to accept :)    i shall have no other god before me speaks of sloughing off old associations within. they are eddys i still drift into; but the water still sparkles as i dip my paddle in awe of the beauty of the moment... peace and love