Author Topic: Polyamory  (Read 2736 times)

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Polyamory
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
Hi Carson,

Please excuse my ignorance.

quote:
Not sure how to say this any clearer, but the "general public's" obsession with relating polyamory with sex/sexual desires is so far off-base that I have a hard time being polite when mentioning the obvious misconceptions. Many people seem to think that "swinging" is poly, and this couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm for sure guilty of this, but aren't relationships without sex more or less accepted as friendships, with varying degrees of intimacy? when I refer to sex, I am including, non intercourse sexual acts, prolonged kissing, nudity, astral sex, sexually charged communication, and/ or anything with clothes removed to varying degrees etc. So if none of this happens, isn't it friendship? Why would you have to define yourself as "poly" for this?

quote:
For example... I am poly, have always been poly, just didn't know there was a name for it. My second "lover" lives 12+ hours away and we are not sexually active. We have been in various stages of intimacy over the past 5 years, and I've written about her before at the forum years ago, but our relationship has very little to do with sex or sexual energy (especially now). That said, we are emotionally intimate, as much as anyone can be, and the "astral sex" is amazing. But, the relationship has nothing to do with sex; sex is not the goal, not the reason for the relationship and quite honestly, we may never have actual physical sex. But I am without a doubt, in an emotional relationship with her. This, is polyamory. It can go further than that, but to focus on only the sexual aspect of poly is absolutely missing the boat entirely.

So if there wasn't any sex or sexual energy as defined above of any kind including astral, what makes this different then very close and completely open/ honest friendship? Sorry if I am being clueless here.

A

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Polyamory
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 02:49:22 AM »
Hi Anthem,

I guess the difference is that with polyamory there is always a *possibility* of a sexual relationship with others as long as it's consensual for all parties.  

quote:
when I refer to sex, I am including, non intercourse sexual acts, prolonged kissing, nudity, astral sex, sexually charged communication, and/ or anything with clothes removed to varying degrees etc. So if none of this happens, isn't it friendship?

Much of this is happening... only the physical intimacy isn't due to geographical challenges. [;)]

Love,
Carson [^]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:58:08 AM by CarsonZi »