Author Topic: feeling dazed after practice  (Read 92 times)

AYPadmin

feeling dazed after practice
« on: September 17, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
Tempest
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  1:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
I have been doing twice daily practice of spinal breathing 10mins followed by 20mins of deep meditation for a couple of wks. Although in my first few meditations I started feeling a pleasant sensation in my chest/heart area, I am now feeling dazed and foggy after meditations, and soemtimes a mild headache. Do I already need to "self pace"? This is a bit concerning as I have only just started and am not doing more then recommended.
Christi
United Kingdom
3560 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  2:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Tempest,

Yes, if this is happening it is best to cut back on your practice times to find a stable routine. Some people are very sensitive to spiritual practices and even just a short time of practices can bring them to a point where even the basic recommended practices are too much.

I would recommend cutting down to 5 mins spinal breathing, 15 minutes meditation twice a day for a while and see how that goes. If that is too much, cut back further. Make sure you get plenty of rest after each sitting and engage in grounding activities during the day.

See this lesson on kundalini symptoms, imbalances and remedies.

And also this lesson addition on the Plus site.

This lesson has a lot of tips on what you can do if you are very sensitive:

Suggestions for Over-Sensitive Meditators

Christi
Go to Top of Page
SeySorciere
Seychelles
1157 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  02:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Dear Tempest,
Did you start both practices SBP and DM at the same time? There is a reason Yogani recommends adding practices one at a time, leaving plenty of time in-between (weeks between starting DM and adding SBP)and that is for you to ensure you are past the clunky phase and you are stable in that practice before adding more. That way if the practice gets too much you can cut back and find the best time for you. These are very powerful practices. Start priming yourself for a long, long run, not a sprint. It does not work that way.

Christi has given you top advice above. I would stress on the Rest aspect. I strongly recommend more rest.

Best of luck in your practices

Sey
Edited by - SeySorciere on Aug 31 2015 02:59:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
Tempest
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  07:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Sey and Christi,

Thanks for your replies. I don't think Yoganis made that clear enough that one should leave a large gap before starting spinal breathing. I think that's somewhat the problem with his lessons. They seem to be a bit scattered and its not clear what sequence additions should be added. These side effects have made me feel a bit reticent about following this path.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1562 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Yogani says:

The lessons being written here are the result of decades of experience in yoga. It will take six months or so to fully describe for you how to do the most important advanced yoga practices, and what their effects will be. Once the writing is complete, you will be able to read it all in just a few days. Obviously, it would not be advisable for you to begin all of these advanced yoga practices in the time it would take you to read about them. It would not be possible. Each stage of practice requires a substantial period of acclimation before the next stage can be successfully entered. If one tries to run before they have become reasonably adept at walking, there is a strong likelihood they will fall flat on their face. This is also true in taking on advanced yoga practices. A gradual build-up is not a luxury -- it is a necessity.

It's all there in the left menu self-pacing.....Yogani persists on take it easy very often.

Take your time Tempest, happy practice
Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 31 2015 10:03:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
So-Hi
USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  12:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Tempest as much as I support AYP you are correct it is a bit scattered and hard to follow here on the free site but that is no reason to grab your ball and go home. You can if you want but it is you who will be missing out.

AYP only made sense to me after a long time and even then it took reading the Secrets of Wilder book to get the full picture.

The book is so helpful I just sent it to a second person as a gift just this past weekend.

The book is fictional but there is more real stuff in it than most will believe until it happens for them. In the book you follow the life of a young man as he discovers all of these practices one by one.

IAM AYAM or Deep Meditation is the first technique he discovers and so on from there.

If you are trying to learn from this free site it will take longer.

If you join the plus site for $10.00 per month you will discover it is organized in a very systematic manner and figuring things out is able to be done much faster.

The plus site also has the book mentioned above and many others as well as radio interviews with Yogani and from those alone you can get an idea of the sequence of practice and Yes Self pacing is the theme in everything. All free with the monthly subscription

In the end though you have to work on things and figure them out, these forums are full of helpful people but in the end it is up to you to find out at what temperature you boil. No one and I mean no one can do this for you. Self Pacing is the key.
Go to Top of Page
Tempest
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
hi Charliedog, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I still don't think Yogani has been clear enough. I got the impression that spinal breathing should always accompany DM as one develops "ecstatic conductivty" and the other inner silence and both are needed for enlightenment. And that they are the 2 basic practices that one should begin with.

Hi So-Hi, thanks for your message. My intention was to try Yogani's basic/fundamental techniques and if I saw benefit after giving them a good trial period of at least a few months, I would be more then happy to buy some of his books/consider joining his AYP+ site. I wasn't planning on adding anything to spinal breathing/ DM for at least a year

However, feeling like crap so soon after his recommended practice has put off me off and I'm scared to persevere. I will drop down to DM 15 mins twice daily for a while and see how that goes. I don't wanna give up so soon and want to give this a fair chance.

quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

The book is fictional but there is more real stuff in it than most will believe until it happens for them.

Can you give any examples in your own practice?
Go to Top of Page
Christi
United Kingdom
3560 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  2:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tempest

Hi Sey and Christi,

Thanks for your replies. I don't think Yoganis made that clear enough that one should leave a large gap before starting spinal breathing. I think that's somewhat the problem with his lessons. They seem to be a bit scattered and its not clear what sequence additions should be added. These side effects have made me feel a bit reticent about following this path.

Hi Tempest,

Yes, some good replies already to your question from So-Hi and Charliedog.

The part that Charliedog is quoting from above is from lesson 38. If you are working your way through the main lessons, then you should have got to that before getting to the instructions for Spinal Breathing Pranayama.

This is another part from the same lesson, about progressing slowly:

"We are about to embark on a new leg of the journey ? pranayama. Pranayama will evolve into a complex practice with far-reaching effects. We will build it up with simple, logical steps. Even so, if you are uneven in your meditation practice, and trying to get in cross-legged position at the same time, taking on pranayama will be too much for now. Way too much. So wait until the meditation and crossed legs are stable. You may be one who skips the crossed legs altogether. That's okay. Still, be sure your meditation is comfortable and in a steady routine before taking on pranayama.

This message of taking it gradually will be repeated over and over again as we, in very few pages, step though eons of powerful spiritual knowledge designed for opening your inner doors." [Yogani]

So there is no actual time span given other than the caution to fist become stable and comfortable with meditation before beginning pranayama. The reason that no specific time-scale is offered is that everyone is different. Some people are able to proceed quite fast, whilst others need to take more time over adding new practices.

The truth is though, that even if you had taken longer to become stable and comfortable with meditation, before adding Spinal Breathing Pranayama, you could have still ended up in the situation you are in now, with over-sensitivity to practices. It may simply have happened after a few months rather than after a few weeks. So even though the caution is there in the lessons, it is not a guarantee that over-sensitivity will not happen at all, if the advice given is followed.

So self-pacing and grounding are the watchwords for anyone who is experiencing these symptoms.

If you do feel that you progressed too fast, you can easily take a step back, by practising meditation alone for a while, maybe for a few weeks or months, and then adding SBP again later when you feel you are ready. Nothing is absolute in yoga and we are free to take a step backwards whenever we want to, as well as steps forward.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
So-Hi
USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
In the book he describes Kechari Mudra perfectly, no one can write about that like he did without the experience of it.

That is a solid example, there are many, many more to include sentiment and love of God, the book is a treasure little realized by the world.

His descriptions of all the things that come of practices are spot on as well. Sometimes it is easier to understand in a story, costs less than $5.00 as an Amazon Kindle purchase can read on all devices with kindle app.

Can understand your reluctance don?t forget you can also drop back to once per day practice as I currently do.

Go to Top of Page
LordBuzzKill
Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  6:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I got burned badly by rushing ahead way too fast. It screwed me up for well over a year where I could not do any practice of AYP at all. I would get horrible feelings, my eyes would twitch and my 3rd I would just go crazy when I would try to Meditate in any form at all. I had a Billion tons of emotional baggage come loose and it was a living Hell to deal with all that crap. I am still facing the side effects of it to this day. My over-sensitivity is off the charts, it is causing me all kinds of problems to no end.

Take your time, there is no rush, years will fly by faster then you know it.

What happened to me was I jumped ahead with using the most advanced Mantra for Deep Meditation and I was using it at extreme speeds and it felt amazing at the time with Kundalini running through my legs like lightning it was great but after it brought HELL on me. Which means I might be over-sensitive for many years to come.

I'd say try a few months of 5 Min Deep Meditation only and see how things go for you. Why I say a few months? Because as Yogani told me, (1) you are building up your Lake of prana behind a dam and you don't know when it will release all the water and flood the (2) fields of your minds to help things grow. (3) It will take time for the Crops of your mind to grow in you spiritually so you have to wait to reap what you sow.

Take care to take your time or you will overwhelm yourself and when the floods come you will not be ready and you WILL DROWN! That is what happened to me, I had an emotional feelings of drowning in my own emotions!

To sum it all up. The drowning is the overwhelming rapid cleansing of your system and the rapid growth can be very unpleasant as well. I am on the back end of this. Dealing right now with the rapid growth of the crops I sowed years ago (2013). I believe my fields are still flooded and somethings will grow very rapidly like weeds and you don't want that. Trust me on that part!
Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Aug 31 2015 7:58:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2015 :  10:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LordBuzzKill

Because as Yogani told me, (1) you are building up your Lake of prana behind a dam and you don't know when it will release all the water and flood the (2) fields of your minds to help things grow. (3) It will take time for the Crops of your mind to grow in you spiritually so you have to wait to reap what you sow.

Take care to take your time or you will overwhelm yourself and when the floods come you will not be ready and you WILL DROWN! That is what happened to me, I had an emotional feelings of drowning in my own emotions!

To sum it all up. The drowning is the overwhelming rapid cleansing of your system and the rapid growth can be very unpleasant as well. I am on the back end of this. Dealing right now with the rapid growth of the crops I sowed years ago (2013). I believe my fields are still flooded and somethings will grow very rapidly like weeds and you don't want that. Trust me on that part!

Solid.
Go to Top of Page
Ecdyonurus
Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  03:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Tempest, don't mean to offend you, but I wonder if you really read the AYP lessons.

In the lessons it is clearly stated that you have to stabilize one technique before adding a new one. Yogani recommends many weeks and better months of stabilization. Also, the lessons clearly speak about self pacing, which means to reduce practice duration if the effects in daily life are bad.

Now, instead of blaming the lessons, I suggest that you make good use of your current bad experience - it is an invitation to learn something important about yourself.

Sorry for being straight ahead, but you cannot blame the cook if you eat too much. And in the case of AYP, the cook even recommends to eat just a little bit at a time.
Go to Top of Page
Tempest
United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I'm gonna drop to 15-20mins of DM twice daily for a few wks or months. Then maybe introduce 5mins of spinal breathing and watch closely to see if it has any negative effects.

Did my DM today without spinal breathing and it wasn't accompanied by fogginess afterwards and the faint pleasant sensation in my chest came back. So maybe spinal breathing was the culprit. I will watch carefully.

Go to Top of Page
Ecdyonurus
Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2015 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply