Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2334 times)

Yoda

Advice please
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 01:07:31 AM »
Outstanding post, Jack.  Nicely articulated and put several thoughts in better order for me.  Thanks!

Yoda

Advice please
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
More thoughts about that post... all that formless practice and that trying to be spiritual and aware...takes me back in the time machine!!  I forgot about all that!

I wonder why AYP is such an improvement in this department.  Sure, not as much time is dedicated to practicing and less chance to overload.  It seems like the technique isn't as open to outside influences... more insulated than the just sitting in awareness angle.  

In AYP my mind feels "deep" or "inward" somehow in a way that the normal life doesn't impinge upon as long as there's a good transition between meditation and non-meditation.  But that awareness type meditation my awareness felt "out in the world" where an incredible sensitivity to the slightest stimulation develops.

People who are drawn to meditation are often sensitive to begin with... so I can see the situation getting a bit out of hand.  Or just that the increased sensitivity really opens you to getting pretty beat up out there thus reducing some of the potential progress made by that technique.  Perhaps the openness/awareness meditation is best left to the tranquility of the monastery.

Yoda

Advice please
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 01:33:08 AM »
Just one more thought from Jack's post... maybe its no coincidence that many schools who practice awareness meditation really make a big deal of suffering in their philosophies.  Could be a rather accurate part of the experience of their path, possibly.

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Advice please
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
Hi Yoda

quote:
Just one more thought from Jack's post... maybe its no coincidence that many schools who practice awareness meditation really make a big deal of suffering in their philosophies. Could be a rather accurate part of the experience of their path, possibly.

Love it [:D][:D][:D]

Doc

• http://www.shenmentao.com/
Advice please
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 03:52:20 AM »
Hi HM!

Welcome to the Forum! [:D]

You might consider reading the wealth of material that Yogani has so generously provided in his Lessons on this site.  I'm certain that you'd find many answers to your questions there. [:)]

Additionally, you may also find some thoughts that are specifically relative to your inner struggles in the various writings from different spiritual traditions which have been posted in the 'Other Spiritual Systems' section of this forum in the thread entitled 'Spiritual Combat on the Path to Illumination'. [^]

Light to All!

Doc

jillatay

• http://www.jillatay.com
Advice please
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by hopeless meditator

I seem to have got trapped in what feels like an endless "dark Night of the Soul."

Dear HM,

I came here to the AYP with the same problem.  Always irritable. Like you I was using an objectless type of meditation.  There is a lot of this kind of meditation being taught and I believe that because there is a general aversion to bliss consciousness in Buddhist circles there is a large population of meditators who are not happy campers.[:(] Becaue of this, I have been trying other routes and have finally stumbled on Yogani's site here.  

Using the 20 min twice a day (with some pranayama too) and self pacing has helped me a lot.  I get to experience more pleasant sessions than before and pretty consistent progress toward inner stillness. Sometimes it is really wonderful.  However, what has helped me even more is knowing that even when I have a "horrible" meditation I am doing good because I am clearing out the yuck and I can take it all in stride.

Am I less cranky in daily life?  You would have to ask my family, plus it has only been about 3 months. Some say it takes a long time especially if we have a lot of blockages.  I have a lot of negative stuff inside and out but feel relief more often than before.  And I can hardly wait until my next meditation.  BTW I used to meditate at least 2 hours each day sometimes more.

Best wishes,
Jill

hopeless meditator

Advice please
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 04:47:11 AM »
Thank you Yoda, Doc, Jill for your helpful insights. I am grateful to all contributors for their kindness in helping me out.[:)][:D]

gmchaudhari

Advice please
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »
Hi HM,

I have evolved a fast track approah to internal purity method out of my own experience. I am confident that it will enlighten you on many aspects as to how to go ahead steadily in meditation. Once yoy go through this we shall discuss later. I hope you will find it interesting.

http://internalpurity.wetpaint.com/page/Internal+Purity
gm chaudhari

Jim and His Karma

Advice please
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »
My advice is something I myself followed.

First, ease the anxiety and other "coarse" issues with asana. Study with a good teacher (I like the Iyengar system, but any teacher will do).

Then, when your broader issues are patched up (and asana does have the power to achieve this), start AYP meditation for "fine tuning". You can read how to do it for free here on this site...read the lessons. It's amazingly easy and effective.

If your anxiety isn't so bad that it prevents you from sitting peacefully, you can try starting AYP meditation concurrently with your asana practice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:32:10 AM by Jim and His Karma »

hopeless meditator

Advice please
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:54 PM »
Thanks gm chaudhari, and Jim (and karma)! I will look for a Yoga teacher locally. I have Iyengar's Light on Yoga book. Were there any specific asanas you had in mind, Jim?

Jim and His Karma

Advice please
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 01:20:56 AM »
No, not at all. Lots of people view asana practice as sort of a healing crystals type thing, where you select one for your headache, one for your indigestion, etc etc. Doing so is actually not silly....this is how hatha yogis self-cure themselves, but they do so in the context of a well-rounded practice, in which a pose or two is given extra weight for a while.

The entire practice of asana is healing, and it's very much best if you have a pretty well-rounded practice (forward bends, back bends, inversions, twists, standing poses), because what you're looking for is to balance and even out your energy, and that's best achieved by working all the angles.

There are very few sure things...I make very few promises. But this WILL relieve your anxiety. You may need to practice every day and really go wholeheartedly into this (while it's awfully tempting to take the lazy approach of just taking a pill or two...which is nowhere near as viable), but I promise it will work, you'll feel great, you'll start meditating like a champ, and you'll thank yourself greatly for the turnaround. These are promises.

Here's a list of iyengar yoga teachers in england (select your area from the menu): http://www.bksiyengar.com/modules/Teacher/teacher.asp?Country=England
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:26:31 AM by Jim and His Karma »

Jim and His Karma

Advice please
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 01:26:12 AM »
One more thing. I said, above, "If your anxiety isn't so bad that it prevents you from sitting peacefully, you can try starting AYP meditation concurrently with your asana practice."

I'd suggest you let your inner guru make this decision after a couple of asana classes. Do you feel that, even though your energy and anxiety are less than ideal, you can sit for 20 mins without growing frustrated or having a bad experience? If so, I highly recommend AYP, which is really simple and pleasurable.

But the thing is, if the sitting, at this point, is going to leave you feeling messy and frustrated, it's best to hold off and let asana straighten you out first (and do give it a year or two...you'll know, don't worry!). It's not a good thing to imprint the practice of meditation as being an overwrought thing; meditation is something that needs to happen like clockwork every day, and the weight of bad experiences may work against establishing a really consistent practice, even after the anxiety has cleared. It should all feel great: the asanas, the meditation, everything. None of this is like taking bitter medicine! ;)

hopeless meditator

Advice please
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 02:32:18 AM »
Great!

Many thanks, Jim.