Author Topic: Meditation/Spinal breathing in front of mirror?  (Read 426 times)

AYPadmin

Meditation/Spinal breathing in front of mirror?
« on: April 17, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »
Z1839
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2020 :  10:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried doing spinal breathing and/or deep meditation in front of a mirror while looking into your eyes. It's something I sometimes feel drawn to, and it's an interesting experience.

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Z1839

Meditation in for going inwards. Paying attention to your reflection in the mirror while you meditate will be a distraction. I'm not saying don't try it as a fun experiment, but know it is not the optimal condition for deep meditation.

It might help you if you read Lesson 31. It is about a different kind of distraction from meditation. Yogani's explanation might be useful to you.

I hope your practice is going well.
All the best

Christi
United Kingdom
3684 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  09:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Z1839,

I have to agree with Blue. It is not actually possible to do Spinal Breathing or Deep Meditation with your eyes open. You would be doing different practices.

See here from lesson 41:

"Sit comfortably with back support, and close your eyes just as you do when you meditate. Now, keeping your mouth closed, breathe in and out slowly and deeply through your nose, but not to the extreme." [Yogani]

Obviously there are an infinite number of changes that people could make to the AYP practices, but once they are changed, they are not the AYP practices any more. They are something else and will produce different results.

See here for making modifcations to the basic AYP baseline practices.

Christi

Dogboy
USA
1711 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2020 :  6:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I do enjoy placing my third eye on the mirror; at that intimate distance, my two eyes merge into one (a Cyclops!) and everything outside of the iris blurs away. By gazing into the ?pupil tunnel? and ?just being?, it indeed becomes inward and meditative. One could do spinal breathing there, and possibly a mantra, but Blue and Christi are correct in stating this is not an AYP practice. It DOES feel like glimpsing into your soul!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:09:11 AM by AYPadmin »