Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
jamuna
Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Background:
I was previously a student of Self Realisation Fellowship (2 years), I then practiced AYP for approximately 2 years, during this time a awakened ecstatic conductivity, my practice was DM and Spinal breathing with mudras and bandas + Samyama. I took a 3 month break and went to a 10 day vipasana retreat. During this retreat I had an energetic awakening. My awakening was not tolerated by my nervous system. I felt like I had hyper sympathetic activation in my nervous system. This lead to a period of about 3 years of very bad anxiety and panic (the anxiety constantly diminished over the 3 year period, from 24/7 with little sleep to anxiety bouts lasting hours a couple of times a week). This was followed by period where I become a workaholic and engaged in some dissociative tendencies, it was actually useful in breaking the cycle. This ended with chronic fatigue and zero anxiety or panic being experienced. I have now been improving from chronic fatigue for about 18 months and I have started practices again. I am doing a breath with mantra meditation as taught by SRF, DM mantra meditation is too strong.

Issue:
I am about 7 weeks into practicing a daily or twice daily meditation practice. I am now noticing the sympathetic aspect of my nervous system
become activated again. It seems innapropriate as there is no external trigger to warrant sympathetic activation. I suspect the meditation is the cause. My guess is I need to retrain this response over a period of years through approaches like somatic experiencing. But I am posting here just to get some reflection and external perspective. I have found this very difficult to manage post energetic awakening, now it?s fine because it?s so small compared to before but I want to direct myself very carefully to avoid slowing my spiritual purification down too much and causing issues similar to first experience (very bad).

Additional information:

1. What are your symptoms and how long have you had them? Are your symptoms primarily physical, psychological, or both? Previous symptoms felt like nervous system would not calm down as the day went on, gradually become more sympathetic activated. Also very anxious, negative thinking. Nervous system hype comes first.

Symptoms now, dread feeling in gut, feeling of adrenaline and tension, tight jaw, sympathetic activation post meditation. No anxiety yet.

2. Are your symptoms ongoing, or intermittent? If intermittent, when are they most likely to occur -- during what kind of activity and/or time of the day? Is your sleep affected?
Previous symptoms where ongoing but had a rhythm. Least affected in morning, most affected around dusk. Sleep badly affected.

Current symptoms do not appear to have a cycle.

3. Do you consider your situation with kundalini to be the result of spiritual practices, or do you regard it to be spontaneous? Result of practice combined with issues with nervous system regulation being faulty.

4. What sort of spiritual practices have you been engaged in, if any? How long? How often? Are you aware that excessive spiritual practice can aggravate kundalini, often with a delayed reaction?

See intro.
Current practice.
Breath meditation with mantra, 20 min 1x per day.

5. Do you consider yourself to be ?sensitive? to spiritual practices? If so, with what practices, and what sort of measures have you taken to accommodate your sensitivity? Yes I think I am sensitive, energy was activated quickly once started. I just avoid energy stimulating practices.

6. Do you think drugs have contributed to your kundalini situation? No.

7. Have you experienced traumatic events in your life that may have a bearing on your current symptoms? Maybe. Childhood was not as ideal as some alcoholic father, 6 kids. But had a decent time regardless. Notice a tendency to sympathetic, adrenalised reactions during life, seemed to crave adrenal stimulation, conflict etc. participated in boxing and other activities that triggered fight and flight on a regular basis. As young adult relationships tended to feel boring without conflict or some problem being present. Very low tolerance to feeling adrenal situations now.

8. Is your sexual lifestyle affecting your symptoms? Are you aware that obsessively limiting sexual release can increase kundalini energy and symptoms? I understand this. Not the cause imo.

9. What is your general diet? Are you aware that a lighter diet can stimulate kundalini? Current diet is heavy, grounding. Participated in fasting etc before energy awoke. Unable to fast at all now. Also stimulates very strong sympathetic response, can feel very dizzy, panicky etc.

10. Do you engage in moderate exercise regularly, like walking, yard work, etc? Are you aware that regular exercise can help stabilize ("ground") kundalini symptoms? Yes and yes.

11. Are you a highly devotional person? Are you aware that excessive devotional activity, satsang or spiritual study can aggravate an active kundalini? Yes, I am very committed to the path. Awakening has always been my number one priority although I have put it aside when required or unable to practice.

12. Are you engaged in ordinary daily activities like a job, school, family, parenting, social activity, service to others? Are you aware that such activities, undertaken without spiritual intention or expectations, can help ground excessive kundalini energies? Yes working atm.

13. Have you been examined and treated by a medical doctor or mental health professional for your symptoms in the past? If so, what was the result? Yes. Diagnosed with PTSD, general anxiety disorder. Doctors think my mind is the issue, my experience is hyper stimulation precedes mental anguish. I can tell how wired my system is. When it?s calm I never get anxiety even in trying situations. Had no history of anxiety before awakening.

14. Are there other factors and/or measures you are taking in relation to your situation that are not covered above? Not off the top of my head.

15. Optional: What is your approximate age (teen, 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.)? What is your gender? We ask because the manifestation of kundalini symptoms can be affected by these factors. I?m 36. Awakening happened at 28. Started practice in earnest at 24. Practiced meditation from childhood though had a few stints as teenager also that was reasonably consistent and duration. All doing SRF breath and mantra meditation.

Dogboy
USA
1711 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Welcome back, Jamuna

As you have over a hundred posts, I assume you were active here early in your practice. Sorry to hear about your history, and I?ve never experienced premature awakening so I can?t advise other than your bio suggests you?ve educated yourself well in regards to self pacing and grounding on a continual basis. You are half my age, and have many many years of yoga experience and opportunity before you, so I encourage you to keep taking leisurely pace toward liberation.

You might be entering a second phase of awakening, who knows for sure, but I have to believe you are in a stronger place spiritually having a vast amount of experience from the first, so perhaps it wouldn?t be anywhere as troublesome? Energy follows intention and attention, so you should (as much as even possible) not focus or worry too intently on new symptoms. You must have some grounding practice you favor (mine is yard work, water immersion, and interacting with others) for those energetic symptoms.

I understand service to others is another way to vent excessive symptoms, giving instead of receiving

jamuna
Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Dogboy,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with everything you have mentioned.

Intuitively I have a path forward which involved learning to retrain my bodies tendency to enter fight or flight combined with grounding. That being said I posted in case someone has experience of moving through a similar issue/ obstruction. I suspect someone well versed in trauma, or similar who has worked through this might have some extra information that could assist me.

Cheers
shanhay54
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2019 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hello, my name is Jim and I need some help to understand what is going on with my body. I have been doing Wim Hof breading for 5 months and when I do that my body temperature starts rising and everyday I feel it more and more after round 4 my body feels like I am in sauna or that sweat?I am afraid of something bad can happen to me. And how I can control it. If you can help me to understand what is going on. And what I have to do.Room temperature where I do breathing is +17C.I start breathing from the abdomen, chest and then the head. 4 sets of 55 breaths.
Edited by - shanhay54 on Dec 27 2019 08:37:05 AM

AYPforum
351 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2019 :  11:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  7:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hello Jim

Practices involving the breath stimulate the energy in the body and can lead to the awakening of what yogis call kundalini energy. Wim Hof is quite an intense practice. It includes holding the breadth for fairly long intervals. Yogis call this kumbhaka and it is a powerful practice designed to get the energy going.

I guess the two most important things you need to know are:
1. Doing breathing practices on their own is risky. The safe way to approach them is to establish an effective meditation practice first. After that, breathing practices can be introduced gradually. It is true that some people, like Wim Hof himself, have been able to practice intensely without getting into energy problems. Based on their own experience, they advise other people to do the same. But it is not safe for everyone, and painful energy awakenings are fairly common.
2. With any energy practice, it is important to self pace, i.e. you build it up slowly, according to your own level of sensitivity (different people have different sensitivity levels). When you start to experience discomfort, you slow down or pause the practice altogether so that things don't get out of control.

Hope this helps. Take care.

shanhay54
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hello,I do very intense breathing.from abdomen,chest and head.Four rounds. Fully in and 30-40% out.After 55 in and out I exhale everything out and holding as long as I can.Then fully in training t build pressure or energy in the head and spread that energy down to my body.I'm feeling that energy is going down.Then ice bath for a 7-10 minutes.After 4 months I started feeling discomfort in the head.Maybe that sign to stop.

shanhay54
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  2:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Thanks so much for awesome advices.I will try to go easy.

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by shanhay54
After 4 months I started feeling discomfort in the head.Maybe that sign to stop.
Yes, that is a good idea. The energy is ascending and, without a meditation practice, you could have a very unpleasant ride.

If you want to continue working with your energy, build a meditation practice for a few months to a year. Then you will start to develop the awareness necessary to do energy work safely.

If you click on the "Deep meditation" link on the left, you will find a lesson that teaches a very effective meditation technique.

Take care.
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Dec 28 2019 5:25:32 PM
Brujoguy71
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2019 :  11:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
In addition to what constitutes a permanent kundalini awakening- some people think it can only happen through the transformation of shaktipat. Some believe its karma after several lifetimes it just happens spontaneously. Some believe its this explosion of fire like energy up the spine. It can't be all of these! So what constitutes a real permanent kundalini awakening? I truly doubt anyone really knows the truth.

Christi
United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2019 :  06:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Brujoguy71,

Kundalini can awaken due to either of those reasons. And it can be experienced as an explosion of fire or energy (prana) up the spine or the centre of the body.

Kundalini can also awaken because of an effective regular yoga practice, which is actually the most effective and the safest way to awaken kundalini.

More on Kundalini in this lesson:

Lesson 69 - Kundalini Symptoms, Imbalances and Remedies

And in this short article that I wrote:

What is kundalini?

Christi
Brujoguy71
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2019 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hello Everyone!!
I was wondering what exactly constitutes a permanent kundalini awakening? Does anyone know? What do you think? I know kundalini can awaken spontaneously and it can also be a controlled awakening from meditation or kundalini yoga.You read about Gopi Krishna, Muktananda, Irina Tweedie, Krishnamurti, and other masters experiences and notice how different they all are. But are there certain symptoms or side effects that are common to an authentic kundalini awakening? Hope to hear from you all soon.
Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System / just an idea
« Last post by AYPadmin on April 16, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
ThoughtBroadcaster
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  06:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
i heard from the internet and spiritual experts that forcing the kundalini up can cause mental disease and worse things. my idea was what if i use the substance to break all the granthis up and blockages up and reject the samadhi doorway until sober that i will prevent mental damage and other catastrophic events. psychedelics are following a sustained kundalini yoga path inclusing breaking the granthis up in my case. i had the kundalini up to the crown chackra years before messing with psychedelics.

Stille
Germany
52 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2019 :  11:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
My advice would be to keep your fingers off of experiements with substances and kundalini related energy. "Patience is a virtue" ? your kundalini will manage itself when your system is ready. And that happens through sustained daily practice.

It's your life though. Feel free to blast your head off

smileforme
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2019 :  07:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Samadhi is not on your hand. It is a gift from the Devine. You will be gifted when you are worthy of that. When you become capable of sustaining what you have given. Since when one refuses to see the divinity with in. That is why every single human beings are floating around the earth. To see the creator and creation within. Be blessed by the devine.
AnotherYogi
Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2018 :  04:30:30 AM 
Hi Delfos,

I have experienced similar issues and have tried many things to help. Standing Tai chi has been very helpful for me. You can try this video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07FauHYlmg&t=4s

Do this exercise everyday for 10 minutes it should help.

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  2:55:33 PM
BlueRaincoat: so in fact what happens to me is not a crisis of spasms, that suddenly I start to have spasms. But the spasms are associated with my attention, so if I pay attention, I already have spasms. So what stops me from having spasms would not be me to lie down and relax, but rather I stop paying attention.

But in this case that I mentioned above, it happened only when I was meditating. So, should I let all this come? Or do you think I should stop practicing?

AnotherYogi: Did you have the same situation as me? It's strange because I searched a lot on the internet and found nothing like it. I mean ... when you paid attention to something did you have a spasm?
If it's true, then I can try Tai Chi. But I'm very skeptical, as this seems to be an isolated case.
And I'm already showing improvement in this meditation that I do now too.
Anyway, thanks for the help ^^

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  3:55:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Delfos
But in this case that I mentioned above, it happened only when I was meditating. So, should I let all this come?

Yes, that was my thinking.
If you can have that release of energy at a time of your choosing (i.e. on your meditation seat), and allow it do its thing, as long as it is not causing you to suffer of course, this might go some way to solving the problem.
What do you feel about it? Worth a try?

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  4:50:15 PM
I should clarify: I'm not suggesting that you do the I AM meditation with the intent of causing spasms.
But should any spasms occur, let them take their course while you meditate. If they are so strong as to distract you from repeating the mantra, follow the instructions in Lesson 15:
quote:
Sometimes physical discomfort can happen during meditation. This is usually a symptom of the release of obstructions in the nervous system. If it interferes with the easy process of meditation, then pause with the mantra and allow the attention to be drawn to the physical discomfort. Just be with it for a while. Usually, this will dissolve the discomfort naturally. Once it does, go back to the mantra and continue your meditation until your time is up. Count the time you spent with your attention on the physical discomfort as part of your meditation time. If the sensation does not dissolve, lie down for while, until the sensation subsides. It is a good thing. A big obstruction is going. Let it go easily, naturally.

If, on the other hand, you are able to pay attention to the mantra while the spasms happen in the background, then do that.

How long are you making your meditation sessions?
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Aug 04 2018 5:07:42 PM

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  8:23:19 PM 
certainly worth a try. But the spasms only happened in this meditation I had done, the others did not have the same problem, which is good.

So I'm already doing 20 minutes. I even wanted to increase the time a little because it seems that I interrupt the practice when there are still things happening in my brain. It's like I end the flow.

But I was progressively increasing practice.

She has done me a lot of good.

One thing I have done is put the cell phone to wake up when it's 20 minutes, can I do it?

And one other thing, I'm very depressed because of that. Sometimes I'm super good, so other times I feel really bad. Can all this stress affect anything? Is it important to try to push him away? Because I know this technique clears the stress, but the sadness sometimes appears very strong.

I think that's all.

Will my breath one day go away with this meditation? Just as the spasms are gone, one hour will the breathing normalize?

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  06:00:40 AM
quote:
I even wanted to increase the time a little because it seems that I interrupt the practice when there are still things happening in my brain. It's like I end the flow.

That is a definite 'no'. We do not increase the length of the session to make up for the time the mind has caused distractions. That is all part of the meditation procedure. The mind will come up with distractions, it is how this meditation method works. We do not fight the distractions and we do not add extra time at the end. All you need to do is gently pick up the mantra again when you realised you are off it.

What I was going to advise you was not to increase the length of your sessions beyond 10 minutes. Remember Blanche also advised you, when she suggested 5 minutes of I AM meditation, that you should increase the time very slowly, i.e. over some months, to a maximum of 20 minutes.

I think you are taking a risk by jumping to 20 minutes already.
With a powerful technique like mantra meditation, more is not better. There is an optimum length and it varies from persons to person. Nobody does more than 20 minutes in one session. You, having had excessive symptoms from your previous meditation practice, may well be oversensitive to meditation in general. To be on the safe side, I would advise that 10 minutes per session is enough for you, at least to start with. If you have practiced for several months like this, then you can try to increase to 15 minutes, and after a few more months, increase to the maximum limit of 20. It's important to allow several weeks or months before making changes, because the effects of meditation are delayed. The excessive practice you may be doing today - if you are practicing to excess - may not take effect till several weeks later. So I would say that the prudent approach is to build it up very gradually, starting with no more than 10 minutes in your case.

That is my recommendation at least. Perhaps other people around the forum would give an opinion.

Take care.
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Aug 05 2018 06:04:56 AM

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  10:48:49 AM
BlueRaincoat: You're right, I'll follow the recommendations given.
But what about this point of the alarm clock? How will I know if it's been 10 minutes or not?

Charliedog
1543 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  1:17:48 PM 
Hi Delfos,

'Insight timer' is an app to use on your cellphone. You can set several times (when needed) in one practice and it has singing bowl soft sounds.

I agree with the excellent advices you received of BlueRaincoat and Blanche. Take your time, to slowly build a practice and to read the lessons.

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  1:55:16 PM
Charliedog: thanks for the help

lalow33
USA
943 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  7:36:13 PM 
Hey, I know what you are talking about. It's not spasms for me, it starts with heartburn. If I get it bad enough, anywhere I pay attention to in my body/energy body will burn with pain. I've learnt how to switch awareness off the body and energy body, but I have zero idea on how to describe it or how to do it. Anyway, the more attention you give it, makes it worse( as you already know).

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2018 :  10:37:58 PM 
The spasms came back. Now out of meditation. Movements very similar to the previous ones. Automatic yoga movement. It basically starts with my breathing, which is already out of control. It loses control until it sucks up all the air and inflates the whole lung, after that happens the movement. My body starts to shake and I let the air out of my lungs. Sometimes there is an unbearable headache, but it lasts little.

There is nothing to say, this is happening the same things as before. Automatic yoga

As it happens, I feel the blockages I have in my brain being eliminated. The feeling is good. It's like I have a lot of energy in my body, and a little in my head. Therefore the body itself tries to balance everything, causing the flow of energy to go to the head.

In one of my kriyas, the hearing improved. As if you had deleted a lock

I do not know what to do, do I ignore them or let them come?

I long for your answers ^^.

Charliedog
1543 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  01:48:25 AM 
As said, what you experience is automatic pranayama/yoga. It comes of your attention on the breath. You can let it happen or stop it, it is your choice. Of-course we have to get used to it if we never experienced this before, but this is you, the energy. 

Important is to ground, have social contacts, do something for someone else. Do not over-analyse yourself.....

I speak from own experience, if you have time, lay down on the floor and let it happen, surrender to the automatic yoga. After some time of enjoying, stand up and go out into the world. Get to know yourself.

And important, start a short daily practice and self-pace, like written above. You received all you need here, time to relax, read some and enjoy your practice. You are in a transformational phase, it all will smooth out, you get used to it and life goes on.

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 06 2018 01:56:16 AM

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  06:19:47 AM 
I subscribe to Charliedog's advice - if the spasms are not too uncomfortable, let them happen.
There is no quick fix, but once you stop fighting them, one day you will find you can live with them, then they will get less and less, till one day they will stop appearing altogether.

quote:
Sometimes I'm super good, so other times I feel really bad. Can all this stress affect anything? Is it important to try to push him away? Because I know this technique clears the stress, but the sadness sometimes appears very strong.

The ups and downs are also a sign of overload. You must adjust your meditation practice so that you keep these symptoms at a manageable level. Yogani calls it "the art of cleaning the house without raising too much dust". Sometimes it's easier to do, sometimes it's more difficult. You are facing a bit of a challenge now, but it will get better.

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  12:27:48 PM 
I think the reason these moves happened again is because yesterday I ran a lot. I was just doing long walks, but yesterday I raced a lot when I went hiking. Do you think that could be it?

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  1:45:40 PM 
It is possible. I think I already wrote in a post above that intense physical effort stimulates the energy.
The symptoms happen because you are at the edge already - a little bit of extra stimulation and you've crossed into overload. You need to give self-pacing a thought - reduce yoga practice or take a break from if for a few day. And engage in grounding activities.

AnotherYogi
Ireland
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  4:23:10 PM
Hey Delfos,

Yes it sounds like we had similar symptoms. Sometime the spasms would be very intense and sometimes happened after I was finished sitting if I brought my attention to the blockage. When it first started happened it worried me a lot, but now I know it was just my body doing what it needed to release a blockage.

I found that running also made it worse afterwards and that hiking was very helpful. Also a gentle yoga asana class helps me also. For me I still have some automatic yoga but I have grown used to it and I just try to let them happen. They will pass and there is usually and nice feeling when they release.

Your body knows what it needs to do, you just need to sit and let it happen!

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2018 :  9:13:04 PM 
Is it preferable for me to meditate before walking, or after?

AnotherYogi: Good to know that this will happen, but I want it to pass soon. This disrupts my performance in school and personal life.

Delfos
Brazil
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  2:16:30 PM
I have a doubt. how will I become in the future making use of this meditation? Am I going to have the power of attention I had before? or will I involute at that point?

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2018 :  5:32:51 PM 
You will have better power of attention, metal focus, memory etc. than you had before. You need to find a steady routine and a good balance in daily life, and improvements will happen very gradually over the months and years.

Walking after meditation (after you've had the 10 minute rest of course) can help integrate the energy. But if it suits you better to have a walk before your meditation, that shouldn't be a problem. It is strenuous exercise that is not recommended right before sitting practices.
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Aug 10 2018 01:39:33 AM
Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System / Random physical vibrations
« Last post by AYPadmin on April 16, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
Lucas L
Argentina
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  11:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hello
This is my first post ever here. I started practicing Kundalini yoga 3 months ago. First, not so disciplined. Two weeks after starting, I decided to be more strict in performing the routine daily (some 10? meditation + nabhi kriya, specific for the solar plexus). Just one week from that point in time, i felt a very strong ecstatic feeling along the spine, especially in the back of my head and neck. To the point I felt the urge to stop whatever I was doing and just experience the moment. Furthermore, I felt sudden changes, openings in the level of conscience of the present I had and started to think about bigger aspects of life, especially its opposite, death... certainly they were (and still are) positive, reminding myself to be thankful for the possibility of living now and here, and how wonderful it is to be alive. Also considering tha death is just around the corner.
What felt really amazing but strange at the same time, was that in random parts of my body, be it limbs, face, chest, etc. i started to feel vibrations, which I still have. They last short, generally 2 or 3 seconds, like nervous discharges but stronger. Sometimes they tend to stay in a particular part of the body, particularly my EYES. And however randow, they have also appeared no few times in certain chakras (3rd eye mainly, solar plexus and svadhishthana).
The craziest part is that sometimes these vibrations seem to have a function, which is to alleviate certaint ailments or contractures, for example: something got into my eye. It bothers me, and just when I was about to go to the bathroom to wash it away, a random buzz on my eyelid makes the bothering diminish.
Should I do something about this? It doesn't seem to interfere with any aspect of my life; on the contrary, it feels good. But my ignorance may be blinding me.

Thanks for reading

Dogboy
USA
1711 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2019 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
AYP mantra meditation is twenty minutes, twice a day. It starts with five to ten minutes of Spinal Breathing pranayama with awareness on the root up to the third eye (stay away from the crown) and tracing the channel in between, and after meditation, five minutes of rest. This is generally a safe practice, as long as yours does not exceed this, and you reduce practice if you are uncomfortable, then you should have no major problems.

So far as your symptoms, pay them little heed; observe them and go back to living your best life. You?ll never completely satisfy your curiosity, so it?s best keep on keeping on. Symptoms come and go as a result of dedicated practice and are out of your control. All you have to do is lessen your practice if you are uncomfortable or concerned.
free4life
Finland
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  12:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
I'm curious what is the relationship between these subjects.
Kundalini is tied to the nervous system.
My experience with kundalini was one of intense electricity flowing throughout my body at levels which you cannot imagine.

If you experience tingling and heat for example, are they symptoms of neuropathy? So can person who hasn't awakened kundalini experience kundalini-like symptoms? Or in case of nervous system damage, does their body become numb and they don't experience this electricity? Is the electricity awakened by kundalini?

I don't want to make this a personal topic, but I'm worried that I would undergo nervous system decline in the future, and it's the early stages what I'm experiencing and not kundalini.

While I had kundalini risings throughout my meditations, there was one specific time when I began to feel electricity around my hands "all the time". I don't remember feeling this before in my life.
Most people don't experience this electricity around their body?
But at the same time, nervous system is electrically powered. I'm sure everyone has had the experience of waking up too early as a kid, and then you were forcing yourself to stay awake. That's just one example of scenario where we can experience this electricity and be more fine-tuned to the nervous system.

Any answers welcome, I'm confused.

jusmail
India
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  8:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
To rule out neuropathy, you can visit a medical practitioner. If nothing comes of it, then you can presume it is the K sprouting in you.
Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System / Re: kudalini and samskaras
« Last post by AYPadmin on April 16, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  08:21:55 AM
Hi christi,

Then why do you think someone like sadhguru should be extra careful with samyama practitioners not doing something wrong? ( I should ask him though:)).

Consider someone who wants to heal himself physically and be perfect in the physical level like many people around him is there something wrong with it? Because, it seems solving your own problems(problems which cannot be solved normally) with yogic or other spiritual powers is a taboo. At most if you are capable you can do it for others but not for yourself. You have to release it to silence whether it solves your problem or not doesn't matter you should be happy anyways.

Christi
United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  09:53:07 AM 
Hi Angeleeyes,

I have no idea why Sadhguru would say that. Higher up in this thread, Jusmail wrote that the practice that Sadhguru teaches as samyama is not the same as the AYP samyama. So, that could be the reason. We could be talking about "apples and oranges".

The advice that is generally given about not using siddhis when they begin to arise, is not because we cannot or should not help others. It is because as long as there is the contracted energy of ignorance still present, it can be easy for the use of powers to become distorted, feeding and exaggerating the ego. This often leads to suffering for both the person using the powers and the person on the receiving end because of co-dependent relationships that can arise. If this happens, both can actually regress on the path, rather than making progress.

Ultimately, yoga is not about solving our personal problems, or anyone else's personal problems. It is about the falling away of our limited perceptions in this world to the degree that we are able to see everything simply as it is. This includes the direct perception that we never had any personal problems. This is liberation.

Eventually all of life becomes a continuous flow of miracles, but to get there, we have to keep our eye on the ball. The miracles are not the ball. They are a by-product of our spiritual practices and a potential massive distraction. The ball is enlightenment, and to get there, we have to be willing to let go of everything that can get in the way.

Christi

angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  12:16:04 PM
Hi Christi,

So which one should we accept? on one hand you say:

quote:
Inner silence is beyond ego consciousness. If there is inner silence, there will also be rising moral responsibility and conduct (yama and niyama), due to the natural connectedness of all the limbs of yoga.

quote:
So the very presence of negative egoic desires (powerful rajasic fluctuations), will prevent inner silence from being experienced. And without the experience of inner silence, samyama becomes ineffective.

And on the other hand:

quote:
The advice that is generally given about not using siddhis when they begin to arise, is not because we cannot or should not help others.

I don't understand who decides what to happen or manifest. If inner silence is responsible then there is no abuse and problem if the yogi is able to manifest and responsible then...

And about Isha and Ayp samyama:

quote:
I have no idea why Sadhguru would say that. Higher up in this thread, Jusmail wrote that the practice that Sadhguru teaches as samyama is not the same as the AYP samyama. So, that could be the reason. We could be talking about "apples and oranges".

Isn't that inner silence is the source of all manifestation it means to manifest we have to act from inner silence so how can technique change the result and besides the origin of samyama practice is Patanjali's yoga sutras so they are most probably similar.

Jusmail, what do you know about Isha samyama could you please tell us?
Edited by - angeleeyes on Oct 27 2019 12:49:08 PM

Christi
United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  2:21:19 PM
Hi Angeleeyes,

The statements are not contradictory. The first two statements are about the practice of samyama and how it works. The third statement is about the development and use of siddhis, which can arise from any effective yoga practice, including asana, pranayama, mudras, bandhas and meditation, as well as samyama.

The question of who decides what to manifest is not a simple one to answer. It is the same as the question of who decides to initiate any action? There is a colouring that happens in the mind due to misguided identification with mental objects. This means that when an action happens, if we are not able to see clearly, we think we are the actor of the action. When we identify as the actor of the action, and the action fails, we think that we have failed. If the action succeeds, we think we have succeeded. When speech happens, we think we are the speaker, when a thought arises, we think we are the thinker, when we see something, we think we are the seer, and so on. When a thought is a pleasant one, we think we are happy and when it is unpleasant, we think we are unhappy. And so, every action produces a re-action and we are caught up in the waves of success and failure, good and bad, right and wrong, happiness and sorrow and so on. In other words, we are caught up in the cycle of suffering.

All of this is true also in the case of siddhis. When siddhis happen and we have the habit of identifying with the objects of the mind, then we think that we are the instrument of the siddhi. So, we think that we are the one who can heal, or we are the one who can see into the future, and so on. But this is still mis-identification caused by ignorance and is just as likely to lead to suffering, as any other form of mis-identification. So even though it is true that everything arises from stillness, when ignorance is still present, suffering can follow due to mis-identification with the objects of perception, the body and mind.

This is from Yogani's Samyama book (page 79):
"Most of the scriptures of the world contain exhibitions of super-normal powers, usually with the proviso that such things come from God. Even so, as eager aspirants, we often will seek the acts themselves before attempting to join with the primal cause ? the divine within us." [Yogani]

Moving beyond this false identification with the objects of the mind, is one of the goals of yoga and is moksha, or liberation. It is necessary, in order to understand who is doing all of this. As long as we are still identified with the objects on the screen of awareness, we cannot see the real picture, which is beyond all of that. This process is especially dealt with through Self-inquiry practice.

This is from page 100 of Yogani's Self-inquiry book.
"But there is something more. We have called it "getting ripe" and falling off the tree of duality into the non-dual condition, which is unity. This is the province of self-inquiry, which has been expanded upon in this volume. While we can find great joy and excitement at every step along the path, ultimate freedom is found in realizing the non-dual condition of unity. It is here that we know ourselves to be fully in but not of this world, and no longer susceptible to the suffering associated with the identification of awareness with the body, mind, emotions, and sensory perceptions. This is not primarily a state of mind or an intellectual understanding. We simply find that we are not any of these things, and that we are all of them. It is a mystery." [Yogani]

You may find these lessons useful:

Lesson 357 - Who is the Perceiver?

357.1 - "Why Am I?"

Lesson 327 - The Evolutionary Stages of Mind

Lesson 350 - Practices for Moving Beyond the Witness Stage

jusmail
India
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  12:42:07 PM 
From what I have read, Isha samyama involves meditation, self inquiry and a form of yantra. It is an 8-day intensive program.

Blanche
USA
606 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  06:52:15 AM
Hi Angeleeyes,

The fact that we do not see a problem using the siddhis does not mean that it is a good idea to do it. It is just like a child who does not see a problem walking along a highway ? it might seem ok, but it is not a good idea.

As Christi writes, using the siddhis could reinforce grandiose delusions about who we are if there is still any identification with this body-mind. The siddhis act as a shortcut in the fabric of karma that governs this world. Avoiding an effect creates a backlog ? and someone will have to make up for it. If you are not clear about what is happening, it is better to let things go their way. It is like using a siddhi to stop rain when driving in a storm, just to find yourself in a dangerous driving situation soon afterwards.

As we continue to purify, our perceptions become clearer. What seemed like problems at a time start to have a different meaning. We start to appreciate the wisdom of ?doing our dharma? as the best path for our actions. In many ways, this world is a play in which we are actors, and doing our best in the character is the best for the actors (us) and the play (the world).

As the Zen master Ryokan wrote,

When your heart is pure,
All the things in your world are pure.
Then the moon and the flowers will take you along the Way.
Edited by - Blanche on Oct 30 2019 09:06:26 AM

angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  11:19:22 AM 
Hi Blanche,

quote:
In many ways, this world is a play

Now this is really interesting. This world is just a play, nothing is real, nothing is serious, but if you do certain things you will be in a grave danger and what is that? you will reinforce your ego. The fact is we all do reinforce our ego in many ways everyday.

As we discuss this siddhis issue more it is become more clear to me that it is very much possible to achieve siddhis and use them as you wish. I have heard about yogis who are very powerful in many ways. They can create whatever they want. Maybe they are not "ENLIGHTENED" as you say, but they are gods themselves in many ways.
Edited by - angeleeyes on Oct 30 2019 11:28:20 AM

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  12:00:59 PM
Angeleeyes, you are taking Blanche's words and giving them a meaning she did not intend - the basic problem with language of course, and the reason why Yogani always advocates practice.

A play can be a very serious thing. What we do in this play has consequences. Which is just as well, because seeing the consequences of our actions helps us learn.

You have heard this from me before, so I will only briefly say it again: do your yoga practices and the rest will come, whether it's siddhis, the transcendence of siddhis or "just"  the understanding that what has to happen will happen.

Best wishes to you

quote:
Originally posted by Blanche
As the Zen master Ryokan wrote,

When your heart is pure,
All the things in your world are pure.
Then the moon and the flowers will take you along the Way.
Thank you, Blanche

Arunachala Bhakta
Finland
29 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  04:13:08 AM 
Beautiful topic, once again. Thank you everyone. Just came to my mind what
Ramana wrote to her mother, who was begging him to come back home from Arunachala:

Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.
Edited by - Arunachala Bhakta on Oct 31 2019 05:05:01 AM

Blanche
USA
606 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  06:49:08 AM 
quote:
Originally posted by angeleeyes
Now this is really interesting. This world is just a play, nothing is real, nothing is serious, but if you do certain things you will be in a grave danger and what is that? you will reinforce your ego. The fact is we all do reinforce our ego in many ways everyday.

As we discuss this siddhis issue more it is become more clear to me that it is very much possible to achieve siddhis and use them as you wish. I have heard about yogis who are very powerful in many ways. They can create whatever they want. Maybe they are not "ENLIGHTENED" as you say, but they are gods themselves in many ways.

Hi Angeleeyes,

The world is real, as real as it gets ? it is just not what it seems to be. All actions have consequences ? the more powerful the action, the more powerful the consequences.

Not everything we do reinforces our wrong view of the ego ? e.g. meditation, selfless service do not reinforce our misperception of the ego. Ego as a structure that allows us to respond to our environment is a positive thing. We do need to adapt and respond to our environment. The problem is not the ego, but our misunderstanding when it comes to it. Living in a society we learn to see ourselves and the world in a certain way that distorts the truth. This subtle but fundamental misunderstanding is at the root of our suffering. What is the point of acquiring siddhis if we continue to suffer? You are probably familiar with the story of Milarepa, the most famous Tibetan poet. In his first part of his life, he trained to get siddhis and he performed a series of miracles. Then he went through a grueling painful period to move beyond the siddhis on a spiritual path.

It is said that gods live for eons a life of bliss. Everything is so wonderful in their realms that they have little reason to do anything but enjoy it. And then even the gods die, and they are born in the human realm for another chance to continue their spiritual journey.

You could surely understand that if you put your energy into acquiring siddhis it will be at the cost of your spiritual live. Find out who you are, and then worry about siddhis. Anyway, siddhis are in many ways like ancient technology ? listening and viewing at a distance, levitation, being present in multiple locations, etc. In our days, we have modern technologies that accomplish the same things ? we have phones, TV, planes, teleconference, etc. There is no need to use our energy and time to get these things. Let?s put our attention on our spiritual practice ? we will change ourselves and the world in the process. Then we will not need to run after godly realms or magic powers - we will live in a heaven right here.

Edited by - Blanche on Oct 31 2019 06:49:58 AM

SeySorciere
Seychelles
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  01:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Arunachala Bhakta

Beautiful topic, once again. Thank you everyone. Just came to my mind what
Ramana wrote to her mother, who was begging him to come back home from Arunachala:

Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.

That is a depressing thought

Sey

BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1550 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  5:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
We do have free will.
However, when driven by our samskaras our trajectory is determined largely by them, in the same way as a stone thrown from a sling will have a predictable trajectory. That's one sense of "what has to happen...". The past will determine the present.

When we abide in silence, we are free from the interference of samskaras. Then we will ask "what does this situation require?" and we will act according to the dharma. I see it as another kind of "what has to happen will happen".
Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System / kudalini and samskaras
« Last post by AYPadmin on April 16, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
Shamia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2019 :  11:38:17 PM 
Does kundalini awakening affects our sanskaras?
i do vipassana, which is about cleansing you of old samskaras or patterns rooted in subconscious mind. A deep cleansing till complete purification, which is liberation. my question is, does kundalini awakening also cleans the subconscious mind from the patterns or samskaras the way vipassana does, or is it only about getting supper natural power?

thank you
Edited by - Shamia on Oct 21 2019 10:38:15 PM

Charliedog
1594 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2019 :  08:32:45 AM 
Hi Shamia, welcome to AYP

Kundalini means coiled or dormant. Kundalini awakening means uncoiling the pranic currents. We open up to a broader perspective of life itself. Opening up means also the ability to see and recognize old patterns or samskaras. It is a journey, a process with many steps. Spiritual practices, like vipassana, yoga etc. and life itself will eventually lead to kundalini awakening, purification and liberation. Different traditions will use different words for the same beautiful journey of life.

Reading the lessons on this website might give you insights in this journey.

Shamia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2019 :  9:43:30 PM 
Thanks for your response. You went upto knowing samskaras. My question was resolving samskaras, unweaving the karma. It would be great If you could explain that, or reffer me to some source, or do both. I hear in the history of Hindu mythology about great rishis who had extra ordinary power but at a certain stimulus they would express their samskaras of anger , lust, arrogance etc. That caused me assume that one can practice the path of Shakti and achieve reach its peaks and still remain impure with past samskaras within them..I would appreciate any explanation...

Charliedog
1594 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2019 :  04:34:48 AM
quote:
I hear in the history of Hindu mythology about great rishis who had extra ordinary power but at a certain stimulus they would express their samskaras of anger , lust, arrogance etc.

I hear those stories too. Having extra ordinary powers could be a pitfall on the path. Cultivating 'abiding inner silence' 'the Witness' is the most important. Reading through the lessons, as said above will maybe explain you more. Do however not forget that it is our daily practice that will lead us to understanding.

With deep meditation, we are cultivating the natural presence of inner silence within ourselves, an abiding stillness that penetrates all of our thoughts, feelings and actions. This innate stillness, also referred to as pure bliss consciousness, is beyond the ups and downs of life. Life goes on as it did before, but stillness resides in us as a silent witness that we recognize as our transcendent Self. As we come to know our Self beyond the many influences in our life, it has a profound effect on the way we view events. We see life occurring as change on the ocean of our stillness. Even catastrophic events will be unable to touch us in our deepest realm of Self-awareness.

This is the transcendence of karma. It is not the elimination of karma. Karma will go on, but our relationship with it will change, and its role in our life will change also. "Yogani"

Some source,
Lesson 343 What is Karma
Lesson 344 Transcending Karma

Edited by - Charliedog on Oct 24 2019 06:37:21 AM

Shamia
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2019 :  5:03:21 PM
extra ordinary power could be a "sign of progress" in the path rather than a "pitfall". i would rather say "attachment" to the power could be pitfall.
regarding our discussion i think it is expanding and i hope we can bring it back again to my main question.
So, as i gather, you seem to mean that the path of kundalini yoga involves silent observation and stillness. does that mean you only observe silently and don't try to manipulate your breath and movement of the vital energy and try to direct them in certain pathways based on knowledge you get either from outside but mostly by inspiration from inside, by the shakti itself, who guides you to actively take part in the process?

angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2019 :  5:32:50 PM 
quote:
Originally posted by Shamia

I hear in the history of Hindu mythology about great rishis who had extra ordinary power but at a certain stimulus they would express their samskaras of anger , lust, arrogance etc. That caused me assume that one can practice the path of Shakti and achieve reach its peaks and still remain impure with past samskaras within them.

Based on ayp lessons "samyama is the source of siddhis."(https://www.aypsite.com/76.html) and "Morally, it is a self-regulating practice" (https://www.aypsite.com/149.html) meaning you cannot use it to fulfill your personal desires.

But as Shamia mentioned there are many stories of so called misusing siddhis. In one of his talks sadhguru (Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev - Founder of Isha Foundation) mentioned that he is extra careful with those who are given samyama practice so they don't do something wrong with it.

Considering these it seems samyama is not "Morally self-regulating ". And it is possible to achieve these powers while your ego is still there.

Charliedog
1594 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  01:38:00 AM 
Hi Shamia,

quote:
regarding our discussion i think it is expanding and i hope we can bring it back again to my main question.

What I do is trying to guide you to the lessons. Why? Because your questions are not easy to answer in a few sentences. The questions ask for expansion to see the whole picture.
quote:
So, as i gather, you seem to mean that the path of kundalini yoga involves silent observation and stillness. does that mean you only observe silently and don't try to manipulate your breath and movement of the vital energy and try to direct them in certain pathways based on knowledge you get either from outside but mostly by inspiration from inside, by the shakti itself, who guides you to actively take part in the process?

What is AYP (Advanced Yoga Practices)?

The AYP techniques act directly through heart, mind, body, breath and sexuality. Practices taught include Deep Meditation using an efficient universal mantra, advanced Spinal Breathing Pranayama methods, Samyama, Self-Inquiry, and an integration of Hatha, Kundalini and Tantra techniques, all for steadily cultivating inner peace and enlightenment through an easy daily practice. Everyone is encouraged to go at their own speed in taking on new practices. Much attention is devoted in AYP to developing skill in "self-pacing," with the aim of assisting every practitioner to become self-sufficient with these powerful tools that cultivate human spiritual transformation.

If you find the introductory resources on this website helpful on your path, consider taking action to go much deeper, greatly benefiting yourself and many others. AYP is sustained and continues to move forward as a dynamic global community of practitioners, teachers and volunteers through book sales, AYP Plus subscriptions, Retreats and Teacher Training Courses, and private donations. However you choose to get involved, your participation and support will be much appreciated, accelerating your own spiritual progress while helping to share the AYP teachings and programs with many around the world.

The author, Yogani, is an American spiritual scientist with 50 years experience in blending powerful yoga methods with the modern lifestyle. The focus here is on revealing practices that work, not on promoting a sectarian view. All are invited to join in, regardless of background or level of skill in spiritual practice. This is a flexible, scientific approach rather than a rigid, arbitrary one. The author has no desire for guru status - only to have the joy of making a contribution to helping the formerly secret disciplines of effective spiritual practice become open and useful for everyone. He wishes to remain anonymous, preserving a quiet life in practices. AYP is not about the author. It is about all who long for knowledge.

It is hoped you will find the AYP teachings and programs to be useful resources as you travel along your chosen spiritual path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

The lessons start here

Enjoy

chas
USA
204 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  03:28:54 AM 
Samskaras can be thought of as unresolved problems that distort perception. Consider a traumatic event from the past. Perhaps someone treated us poorly and it was not possible to resolve it at the time.

We have the memory and we have an emotional connection to the event. This is referred to as a kind of coloring of the memory in yoga. For example, when I was a child, a dear member of my family was having a bad day and did something terrible to me. I could not make sense of it then. "What did I do to you?," I wondered. It turned into resentment, anger, and depression. I carried this unresolved event and others like it for a long time. My perception was oriented through it, like a particular lens through which I viewed it and associated experiences. Since mind relies significantly on associations, this becomes a larger influence in life than is healthy, true, or necessary. Associations activate samskaras.

How are these things reconciled? In my experience, it is in seeing them from a higher point of view. In yoga, it is said that samyama is the process by which the discoloration of samskaras takes place. A different way of saying the same thing. Samadhi is the place within us that is both unaffected by events and is the power that cleanses the past and recurring problems.

Samyama can be done on anything that can be perceived, including memories, traumas, obstructions, samskaras, etc. When our absorption in samadhi occurs, the object of perception is also absorbed and purified by pure consciousness. The memory remains, but the negative coloring is removed. Ex.- in integrating the experience in samyama, I can see that the problem with my loved one was not personal- he was having a bad day, and there were other factors involved (including unresolved problems) - things that I hadn't considered when I was 5 years old. Now the memories activate compassion/love/understanding in contrast to the previous subjective conditions.

With all the different factors, it can seem complex in details and simplified into the nature of consciousness... In essence the view becomes expanded. There is a larger picture that becomes known as the process is integrated.

Kundalini supercharges the process. For one, she opens our energy body and enhances meditation. Kundalini churns the ocean of consciousness and brings up a lot of things in us that need reconciliation. Otherwise, it can take a very long time to even become aware of old problems still affecting us and our life experience.

Edited by - chas on Oct 25 2019 04:46:32 AM

Dogboy
USA
1711 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2019 :  12:30:07 PM
Nice explanation, Chas

jusmail
India
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  03:55:36 AM 
quote:
Based on ayp lessons "samyama is the source of siddhis."(https://www.aypsite.com/76.html) and "Morally, it is a self-regulating practice" (https://www.aypsite.com/149.html) meaning you cannot use it to fulfill your personal desires.

But as Shamia mentioned there are many stories of so called misusing siddhis. In one of his talks sadhguru (Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev - Founder of Isha Foundation) mentioned that he is extra careful with those who are given samyama practice so they don't do something wrong with it.

Considering these it seems samyama is not "Morally self-regulating ". And it is possible to achieve these powers while your ego is still there.

The samyama in Isha foundation is a different practice than the samyama we do here.

angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  5:07:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jusmail

The samyama in Isha foundation is a different practice than the samyama we do here.

The principles of samyama are unique. Maybe Isha samyama is more intense.

Christi
United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  5:26:47 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shamia

I hear in the history of Hindu mythology about great rishis who had extra ordinary power but at a certain stimulus they would express their samskaras of anger , lust, arrogance etc. That caused me assume that one can practice the path of Shakti and achieve reach its peaks and still remain impure with past samskaras within them.

Hi Angeleyes,

Siddhis, or spiritual powers, can and do develop at some point, for everyone who practices yoga. They can develop as a result of any effective yoga practice, not only samyama. They are the result of the inner senses awakening due to the purification of the subtle neurobiology and also a result of heightened perception resulting from transcendence (samadhi).

The reason that the AYP samyama technique is said to be morally self-regulating is because it is only effective when we are able to touch upon (release things into) inner silence. If there is an egoic personal motivation behind the practice, then that negative vibration would disturb the inner silence making the practice ineffective. When the mind is at peace, then the practice becomes effective.

This is from the Samyama book, page 24:
"Fortunately, samyama is a morally self-regulating practice, which means inner silence (samadhi) is the prerequisite for success in samyama. Inner silence is beyond ego consciousness. If there is inner silence, there will also be rising moral responsibility and conduct (yama and niyama), due to the natural connectedness of all the limbs of yoga. Along with this comes dispassion for the external performances of siddhis. Interestingly, the more advanced we become in our samyama practice, the less attachment we will have to the results. The flip side of this is that the more interested we are in siddhis, the less effective our samyama will be, because we will have less inner silence. This is self-regulation coming from within." [Yogani]

This does not mean that yogis cannot abuse their spiritual powers and there are certainly many examples of yogis doing this. So it is good to be cautious when siddhis begin to manifest. The general advice is not to use them and to not become distracted by them.

Christi

angeleeyes
104 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2019 :  10:26:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

The reason that the AYP samyama technique is said to be morally self-regulating is because it is only effective when we are able to touch upon (release things into) inner silence. If there is an egoic personal motivation behind the practice, then that negative vibration would disturb the inner silence making the practice ineffective. When the mind is at peace, then the practice becomes effective.

This does not mean that yogis cannot abuse their spiritual powers and there are certainly many examples of yogis doing this.

Hi Christi, hope you are well,

Thank you for your response.

I don't see why inner silence should be disturbed by a personal motivation? In my understanding inner silence is more like space. It cannot be disturbed by anything. It is pure possibility and anything can be manifested from it. The moral/immoral and using or abusing issue is a human thing, our interpretation.
To me it feels more like a mental trick so that the practitioner cannot use it for his personal desires whatsoever.
Edited by - angeleeyes on Oct 27 2019 04:21:13 AM

Christi
United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  05:55:06 AM 
Hi Angeleeyes,

Although it is true to say that inner silence cannot be disturbed by anything, our experience of it can be, and usually is.

When different people meditate, some will experience inner silence (samadhi) and others won't. The difference is caused by the nature of the fluctuations of the mind (vrittis). When the fluctuations of the mind are very calm and of a sattvic (pure) nature, then we will naturally experience inner silence. But if the fluctuations of the mind are strong and of a tamasic (dull), or rajasic (egoic/ overactive) nature, then there will be too much disturbance for inner silence to be experienced.

So the very presence of negative egoic desires (powerful rajasic fluctuations), will prevent inner silence from being experienced. And without the experience of inner silence, samyama becomes ineffective.

On top of this, inner silence is not simply a neutral "space" from which anything can manifest. Inner silence has qualities to it and a transformational power. It has the qualities of peace, joy, freedom and love. So, the more time we spend abiding in samadhi, the more we realize these qualities to be the very nature of our own being. The transformational power of inner silence is that if negative emotions such as anger or fear are released into inner silence, they dissolve. If positive qualities such as joy and the aspiration for liberation are released into inner silence, they become amplified. So, inner silence (samadhi) has the power to transform and is in fact the most powerful transformational force in yoga.

Christi
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10