Author Topic: Changing Breath  (Read 124 times)

AYPadmin

Changing Breath
« on: July 29, 2019, 02:22:55 PM »
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hey all,

I've noted that recently my perception of the breath has changed quite substantially, both during pranayama and daily life.

The breath now seems very empty, or very full (same thing).

And the inhalation and exhalation are the same. I've noted similarities in the sensations of the inbreath and outbreath before, but now they really feel the same most of the time.

This is difficult to describe

Interestingly, I seem to perceive moving prana in general much more than the breath now. The sensations of moving prana throughout the body, along the path of the breath, or much stronger than sensations of the breath itself, which have become much more subtle. I can see how the prana is the foundation of the breath, or in other words, how the breath is just one expression of moving prana.

I rarely do much more than 10-15 breaths of spb. I'm wondering if I should cut back from that, and just eliminate it altogether for the time being? Or maybe cut back on asanas? I'm doing 2-3 asana classes per week.

My perception of moving prana is so strong recently that, I'm quite surprised that people near me cannot feel it. It's not overwhelming, but just very concrete and solid and strong.

Thoughts or comments appreciated.
Charliedog
1556 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  03:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tonightsthenight

Hey all,

I've noted that recently my perception of the breath has changed quite substantially, both during pranayama and daily life.

And the inhalation and exhalation are the same. I've noted similarities in the sensations of the inbreath and outbreath before, but now they really feel the same most of the time.

Hi tonightisthenight,

Yes I recognize this, if I have to describe it, I say my infinite breath, not doing it physically.
The first times I was aware of it, it was like aha! This is what they really mean with breath retention.
When looking back, before this moment I always was doing my pranayama, so to speak. At this moment I can let it happen, in a natural way. Starting physically and then let go, samyama style. The breath becomes light and infinite, slows down or stops now and then completely. Retention can be endlessly so to speak. Without any tension.

Also there is awareness of the in and out breath at he same time and the up and down movement in sushumna at the same time. (sorry for the English)
Nice things are happening, I have the feeling that boundaries are disappearing, not only feeling in the body, awareness and prana is infinite and that is what I feel more and more.
Because I am not only AYP I will not advice you.
All the best.

Edited by - Charliedog on May 14 2015 04:33:12 AM
Go to Top of Page
jonesboy
USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 14 2015 :  7:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi tonightisthenight and Charliedog

It really does sound like very good things are happening.

You know the concern. Now we might be opposites in this but 5 minutes of sbp is all I could ever do. 10 minutes is strong stuff, felt or not. You always give me the impression that you know what your doing and what you can handle.

So.

Enjoy it but be mindful of overload symptoms until we know for sure .

When not in practice can you feel it flowing through you at all? Can you reside in it? Do you notice changes it how it feels?
Go to Top of Page
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  07:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

Hi tonightisthenight and Charliedog

It really does sound like very good things are happening.

You know the concern. Now we might be opposites in this but 5 minutes of sbp is all I could ever do. 10 minutes is strong stuff, felt or not. You always give me the impression that you know what your doing and what you can handle.

So.

Enjoy it but be mindful of overload symptoms until we know for sure .

When not in practice can you feel it flowing through you at all? Can you reside in it? Do you notice changes it how it feels?

10 minutes? phew! Nooooo I'm only doing about 10 breaths total

Go to Top of Page
jonesboy
USA
594 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  08:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Oh

Then very cool on your experience and enjoy my friend.
Go to Top of Page
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

quote:

Hey all,

Hi tonightisthenight,

Yes I recognize this, if I have to describe it, I say my infinite breath, not doing it physically.
The first times I was aware of it, it was like aha! This is what they really mean with breath retention.
When looking back, before this moment I always was doing my pranayama, so to speak. At this moment I can let it happen, in a natural way. Starting physically and then let go, samyama style. The breath becomes light and infinite, slows down or stops now and then completely. Retention can be endlessly so to speak. Without any tension.

Also there is awareness of the in and out breath at he same time and the up and down movement in sushumna at the same time. (sorry for the English)
Nice things are happening, I have the feeling that boundaries are disappearing, not only feeling in the body, awareness and prana is infinite and that is what I feel more and more.
Because I am not only AYP I will not advice you.
All the best.

Thanks for your contribution charliedog!

Yes, infinite breath. Seems like a good description. Goes along with the perma-smile. It seems very solid and rooted in silence, but yesterday I started to feel some stuff coming up during asana practice.

I recently ramped up my practice regularity. Last two weeks I've done 5-8 minutes DM once a day, preceded by 10-15 breaths spb. Sometimes I lose the spb right away and automatically do a breath with focus on the upper chest on ex, and focus on mulabandha at in. Its crazy effective. Sometimes a one sutra samayama after.

This is in contrast to most of the past year where I've had a few days off, few days on regimen.

Frankly, I'm not at all interested in overloading and I'd rather error on underloading rather than overloading.

I'm wondering if this breath is a milestone? Or is it a sign of overloading? If I'm feeling prana more 'real' than objects, I'm not sure this is a good thing.
Go to Top of Page
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

Oh yes, I can feel it flowing all day long. Not just in the spinal axis, but outside of the body. I can feel how mudras, breathing, or even thought can move the prana. Bhakti type thoughts especially get the prana very rajasic. And yes, it is nice because I can reside in it from stillness, otherwise it would be crazy.
Go to Top of Page
pkj
USA
151 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi

That is nice. less is more. Good things are. Just follow the inner Guru. I also sometimes just sit and let the things be as they are. Just in silence.

Thanks for sharing

PKJ
Go to Top of Page
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  9:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pkj

Hi

That is nice. less is more. Good things are. Just follow the inner Guru. I also sometimes just sit and let the things be as they are. Just in silence.

Thanks for sharing

PKJ

Gives a whole new meaning to just sitting there with a smile on your face and watching the world go by.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1556 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  03:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Gives a whole new meaning to just sitting there with a smile on your face and watching the world go by.

Hi tonightisthenight,

Nice! Enjoy!

During yoga practices perceptions change, like what you are noticing at this moment with the breath. It will balance out. In other words, you will get used to it. Sensations will be there, but it is best to let them be what they are, sensations....
Go on with your practice, do not change, let it stabilize. Read the lessons again.

Edit: self-pace, don't forget! I second pkj, less is more in this.

Smile and let the world go by  at the same time, stay with both feet on planet earth.

Edited by - Charliedog on May 16 2015 04:03:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
tonightsthenight
846 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

quote:

Hi tonightisthenight,

Nice! Enjoy!

During yoga practices perceptions change, like what you are noticing at this moment with the breath. It will balance out. In other words, you will get used to it. Sensations will be there, but it is best to let them be what they are, sensations....
Go on with your practice, do not change, let it stabilize. Read the lessons again.

Edit: self-pace, don't forget! I second pkj, less is more in this.

Smile and let the world go by  at the same time, stay with both feet on planet earth.

I've decided to drop practices again for a spell. I'm not sure if I'll be able to have a daily practice again, but it seems to be fine, as everything has become increasingly balanced since I dropped regular practices. perhaps I'll try 5 minutes twice a week.

thanks cdog :)
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1556 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
I've decided to drop practices again for a spell.

As Yogani says, The guru is in you