Author Topic: Spontaneous Kevala Khumbahka  (Read 808 times)

roberto128

Spontaneous Kevala Khumbahka
« on: September 16, 2005, 04:08:22 AM »
During spinal breathing, the time in kevala khumbahka (no breath between the last exhale and the next inhale)is lenghtening. Also the time in puraka khumbhaka (inhale held)is lengthening. I feel fine with this, but it cuts back on the actual spinal breathing because i am holding the energy at the ajna chakra and at the perineum for longer periods while this is happening.I have been taught in the past that the space between the last exhale and the next inhale is where peace resides and it certainly feels so.
Is anyone else allowing/doing this? And by keeping the energy up top or down below during these retentions, am i shortchanging myself in the number of spinal breaths? [|)][:o)][|)]
Rob

lucidinterval1

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 06:25:19 AM »
Hi Rob,
I also find the pause between the breaths lengthening. I try not to control it. I go with what feels right. When the breath slows down and oxygen consumption is lowered, the body compensates by pulling the sexual energies from the pelvis into the spine and towards the brain. This is in effect kundalini rising. I know that the slower that my breathing becomes, the more ecstatic conductivity increases. I have caught myself at times during meditation, not breathing and by noticing this breathing resumes.

As for the number of spinal breaths. My routine is to typically do 25 rounds. I use mala beads to keep track as opposed to a clock. Some people find mala beads a distraction. I always do a minimum of 25. This takes from 14 to 17 minutes depending on how slow the breath can naturally go. If I am pressed for time I may skip samayama or Yoni Mudra in exchange for the extended spinal breathing as I feel the most benefit from it. We don't want to cut short the time in the mantra though. Spinal breathing is a nervous system cleansing exersize. It is the cultivation aspect. Mantra helps integrate the process. It is allowing the garden to grow.
With Peace,
Paul

roberto128

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:18:10 PM »
Hi Paul:
Thanks for the comeback. So for you the repetitions are more important than the time spent in pranayama.But also longer than the usual 10 minutes. Ill play with that variation for awhile.
Thanks again.
Rob