Author Topic: Spinal Breathing/Kriya Pranayama  (Read 1964 times)

BluesFan

Spinal Breathing/Kriya Pranayama
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »
Shanti - Thanks for that link; I really enjoyed reading it.  A couple of comments on that note:  I've read quite a bit of spiritual material over the past 8-9 years.  I stumbled upon a Zen book when I was 19 and it just clicked.  It almost felt like I was reading stuff I already knew.  It felt like home but I had never been exposed to anything like that.  I wanted to comment on Eckhart Tolle...  I'd heard of him and seen his books and tapes but because of his popularity, I never gave him much of a chance.  (I think the fact that his book was endorsed by Oprah was a little too much for me)   However, out of curiousity I did pick up a cd book of his about two months ago ("A New Earth") and my mind was blown.  Having read many spiritual books, you notice the striking similarities in all of the different traditions.  Everyone is basically saying the same thing but in a different way based on their culture,tradition, and disposition.  Tolle is no different but he articulates the matter in a way that is nothing short of brilliant.  He does it in a very practical, logical way that seems to resonate with the western mind.  Fifteen minutes into his cds (we listened to them while on a long road trip) I knew in my heart that this is a truly illuminated man.  

So, needless to say, I have a very high opinion of his teaching.  But for those looking for instruction on physical procedures and meditation methods...I agree with the people I've seen here that say his material is lacking in that regard.  I don't think that's what he's trying to accomplish necessarily.  As Yogani mentioned in one of the responses I read, Tolle more or less achieved enlightenment "by accident".  He just woke up at the top of the mountain.  And though his teaching is more general and less procedural; I'm not sure if I've ever come across anyone who makes such short work of the human ego.  And the neat thing is, he does it without all of the esoterism that tends to cause many western folks eyes to glaze over.  

But anyway...

You, David, and the others have made some good points about the benefits of a shorter meditation period.  Yogani has done a wonderful job at condensing everything down to what seems like the most effecient presentation of yoga that there is.  If I can use these methods and get more out of 30 minute sessions than I used to get out of 1-2 hour sessions, I'm all for it.  

David - As it turns out, there is a small Zen meditation center in my area (at least one that I know of).  I've always wanted to drop in but it just hasn't happened yet.  I know that it would be beneficial to meditate in the company of Zen practicioners.  And Zen has been very close to my heart since I first discovered it.  

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Spinal Breathing/Kriya Pranayama
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 01:10:19 AM »
Hi Blues,

quote:
So, needless to say, I have a very high opinion of his teaching. But for those looking for instruction on physical procedures and meditation methods...I agree with the people I've seen here that say his material is lacking in that regard. I don't think that's what he's trying to accomplish necessarily. As Yogani mentioned in one of the responses I read, Tolle more or less achieved enlightenment "by accident". He just woke up at the top of the mountain. And though his teaching is more general and less procedural; I'm not sure if I've ever come across anyone who makes such short work of the human ego. And the neat thing is, he does it without all of the esoterism that tends to cause many western folks eyes to glaze over.

I like Tolle a lot too and agree that he does an excellent job in exposing the many ways the ego can manifest in our lives. I regularly use his advice to witness my emotions and thoughts and to observe my ego in action. I also like his recommendation to sense the energy field in my body to help me come back to the here and now.