Author Topic: Alternate Nostril Spinal Breathing  (Read 200 times)

AYPadmin

Alternate Nostril Spinal Breathing
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
papichulo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  12:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
I've come across some science that seems to dispute a statement in the SBP lesson:

"The reason nadi shodana is not used here is because spinal breathing includes the benefits of nadi shodana... The calming effects of nadi shodana come primarily from a reduction of the breath rate by using one nostril at a time - restraint of breath... While spinal breathing does not include alternating nostril breathing, this is not a shortcoming. Otherwise nadi shodana would be included along with spinal breathing. It is possible to do both practices at the same time, but it would be complicating our practice for very little gain. That is one of the guiding principles in all of these lessons - Is there a substantial benefit derived through the addition of an element of practice?"

Yet it appears there IS a substantial benefit from alternate nostril breathing that is NOT included in SBP.

Breathing through both nostrils is not the same as breathing through one. The left nostril activates the parasympathetic system and the right nostril activates the sympathetic system.

Every 2.5 hours our body switches which nostril is dominate. Alternate nostril breathing can help balance the system away from a sympathetic state.

If we do spinal breathing with both nostrils we're missing the distinct benefits of alternate nostril breathing.

Has anyone tried combining alternate nostril breathing with spinal breathing?

Here's the science:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar.../PMC4097918/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4097918/

http://sequencewiz.org/2014/08/06/one-nostril-breathing/

Edited by - papichulo on Mar 07 2018 12:31:27 PM
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1492 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  1:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi papichulo

As far as I can see (please correct me if I got it wrong), this study compares nadi shodana with uninostril breathing (breathing through one nostril only) and with normal breath.

There is no comparison with spinal breathing mentioned in the article. How did you come to the conclusion that spinal breathing does not balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic sides of the autonomic nervous system?
Go to Top of Page
papichulo
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hi papichulo

As far as I can see (please correct me if I got it wrong), this study compares nadi shodana with uninostril breathing (breathing through one nostril only) and with normal breath.

There is no comparison with spinal breathing mentioned in the article. How did you come to the conclusion that spinal breathing does not balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic sides of the autonomic nervous system?

Hi BlueRaincoat!

Yeah, sadly this study doesn't specifically look into SBP but I think there's enough data here to at least raise some interesting questions.

They compared alternate and uni nostril breathing with breathing through both nostrils.

"Respiratory rate for all techniques was maintained at 5-6 breaths per min".

Breathing through both nostrils at that rate did not achieve the parasympathetic effects of left-uni or left-initiated alternate breathing. This shows that there is a special link between the left nostril and the parasympathetic system. This is old news to the ancients. They knew the left nostril was linked to the more calming, feminine lunar nadi channel and the right was the solar, energizing solar nadi channel.

This study seems to demonstrate that pranayama using both nostrils has different physiological affects than pranayama through one nostril.
Go to Top of Page
Dogboy
USA
1597 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  8:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I like alternate nostril breathing, and see no harm in pairing it with SBP, as longer as you not add other practices on top of that. ANB and middle fingers to Ajna really centers me. AYP is providing the blueprint, how your temple is build is your doing.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1558 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  04:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Nadi Shodana balances ida(left nostril) and pingala nadi(right nostril). If both are balanced it is said and experienced here we enter Sushumna. Sushumna is the middle path. That is where SPB takes place. SBP works on Sushumna and will expand and so Ida and Pingala get involved with it. The route may be different, the result will be the same (balanced ida and pingala) if we follow the journey with our daily practice.
And so if we are doing SBP and DM it is possible to notice that both nostrils are wide open or that one nostril is more open then the other. It will all happen if time is there.

Lesson 381

Edited by - Charliedog on Mar 08 2018 06:47:18 AM
Go to Top of Page
Will Power
Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2018 :  6:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Charliedog,

I don?t agree that when both nostrils are opened (balanced Ida and Pingala) then it means we are inside Sushumna/enter Sushumna. Almost everyone experiences at some time of the day both nostrils opened, specially during physical exercise, but very few experience Prana getting inside Sushumna. Prana may enter Sushumna and you may not know if both nostrils are opened, actually you may not breath at all.

Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1558 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2018 :  03:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Will Power,

I was making a comparison between SBP and NS. What I wanted to say is, both practices will take you to the same balanced state of Ida and Pingala. Practicing pranayama we do in a calm state, the breath rate will slow down or there will be no breath at all. Gradually we will progress and have more access to Sushumna and Prana. If we start with the practice of pranayama it is all kind of physical and when we progress over the years it all becomes subtle and a not doing at all.

During physical exercises like running or work out for instance, we have a complete different body/brain state. Probably we mean the same, but my words are limited. That's how it is here.

Edited by - Charliedog on Mar 10 2018 03:45:53 AM