Author Topic: How to manage deviations to AYP pratices  (Read 166 times)

AYPadmin

How to manage deviations to AYP pratices
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
capucine
France
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  04:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
After 3 months practicing siddhasana, I feel comfortable with. I have slight but steady conductivity, better than the ups and downs of the beginning.
After the meditation during the rest time lying on the back, I always feel like pleasant waves of energy go from root to head. Sometimes even during the night.
Sometimes during the day, I feel like cold in the kidneys, but never during spinal breathing.
In asanas, I add Sarvangasana and Halasana (beginner level !). It?d strange, because I?m now very attracting with these asanas on the shoulders, I feel I need it but it?s a little painful in back of the neck and third eyes, top of the head.
Sometimes during Samyana ?lightness of the air?, I stop automatically to breath and it?s like in yoni mudra I don?t manage to do: plenty of energy tries to go up from the root, but doesn?t manage to exceed the kidneys and it?s unpleasant (but no heat now) so I stop quickly.
During spinal breathing, I like to move the chest back and forth, it?s seemed to help to move the energy. I like to move the abs muscles to too, it?s very pleasant.

So there are some differences/deviations to the AYP pratices. I have the following questions:
For asanas : is it good to do asanas on shoulders even there is some discomfort in neck and head ?
For samyana, at the end : is it good to do something like very light yoni mudra? I read normally it?s at the end of spinal breathing before meditation, not in samyana.
Is it good to move the chest or the abs during spinal breathing or meditation?
I?d like to learn and add nauli before yoni mudra : can I ?
Or I have to come back to strict AYP practices ?

My guru in me says it?s ok if I feel ok, but my guru knows nothing to yoga .

Charliedog
1558 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  07:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi capucine,

Good things are happening

What you can do to make Sarvangasana and Halasana more comfortable is placing a folded blanket under your shoulders area. This way their is a more space for the neck. See if this works. Otherwise you can use half-shoulderstand, don't strain the neck to much. Pain never is a good sign. It needs time to develop. Discomfort is ok, pain never....

Listen to your guru, take it slow one step at a time, you will learn then what the practice does for you.

Good luck! Keep us posted
Go to Top of Page
jusmail
India
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  08:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
For samyana, at the end : is it good to do something like very light yoni mudra? I read normally it?s at the end of spinal breathing before meditation, not in samyana.
Yoni mudra is generally done after sayama if you are doing chin pump or bastrika between spinal breathing and meditation. If yoni mudra is done between spinal breathing and meditation, no need to do after samyama. You may accidentally overdue and things can go out of hand. Samyama is all intentional and not related to the abs. Don't complicate things. Keep it simple. Nulli, you can learn before, too.
Go to Top of Page
Dogboy
USA
1597 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
So there are some differences/deviations to the AYP pratices. I have the following questions:
For asanas : is it good to do asanas on shoulders even there is some discomfort in neck and head ?

In my home, especially if I want/need to some restorative asanas involving shoulders or spine, I use an exercise ball. You can do a very safe vasistasan for instance, with the ball supporting your body under your arm pit and side, with your legs swiveled wide, the side of your feet on the floor. Also, lying with the ball on your spine allows a lot of safe movement for your shoulders and neck, and control in your core. Discomfort is your edge, pain means you've gone too far.

It is recommended to prep for your meditation before and during spinal breathing, before being the default, although SBP sometimes awaken the need to shift my body so I surrender to that impulse. Movement in DM is not recommended, unless of course it is automatic kryias. If GIY asks for a light yoni mudra after samyama, then how can you not?

I recommend learning nauli outside of your sessions, and then bring in before or during the SBP portion of your practice.
Go to Top of Page
Christi
United Kingdom
3550 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2018 :  3:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Capucine,

Shoulder stand and Plow are both part of the AYP asana sets (both the starter set and the enhanced set). See here:

Addition 71.5 - Videos: AYP Asana Starter Kit

Addition 383.4 - Videos: Enhanced AYP Asana Routine

As Charliedog mentioned above, if either are painful, then self-pace accordingly and/or use props as support.

Automatic breath suspension is quite natural during Samyama and can happen at times. It is nothing to worry about. As with all practices, if discomfort is experienced, then self-pace accordingly.

With Spinal Breathing, it is part of the practice to breath deeply and fully, expanding the chest and working the abdominal muscles. See here:

Lesson 41 - Spinal Breathing Pranayama

"Sit comfortably with back support, and close your eyes just as you do when you meditate. Now, keeping your mouth closed, breathe in and out slowly and deeply through your nose, but not to the extreme. Be relaxed and easy about it, breathing as slowly and deeply as possible without discomfort. There is no need to be heroic. Work your muscles so each breath begins in your belly and fills you up through your chest to the top of your collarbones, and then comes back down slowly. " [Yogani]

During meditation, let the breath be normal and natural. As Dogboy said, you do not want to be distracted by anything during meditation and altering the breath deliberately would be a distraction, whether it feels pleasant or not.

In terms of the order that practices are taken on, the order given in the lessons is the recommended order. However, not everyone takes on all of the practices, so if you are not drawn to Yoni Mudra, but are drawn to Nauli, then you could skip ahead to that. It sounds as if you want to skip Yoni Mudra Khumbaka, because of difficulties you have experienced already in relation to prana rising during breath retention? If that is the case, you could experience similar energetic movements with nauli, as it is designed to do something similar to YMK. Nauli, will "push" prana from the belly and pelvic region upwards, whereas Yoni Mudra will "draw" prana upwards from the root, but it is still prana flowing upwards. So keep an eye out for potential difficulties, as you are already sensitive and be ready to self-pace if needed.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
capucine
France
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  04:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Thank you all for fine advices I read carefully, I really appreciate !

Yes I experience some difficulties with prana rising during breath retention.
I remember in my past (before knowing existence of prana?), when I had to stop to breath due to a nauseating odor, I had sometimes a ?strange? pain.
Now, in my daily life, if I have to stop to breath because some reasons, I cannot more than a few seconds.

Ok I have to be patient and give me more time to overcome this difficulty. Maybe skip YMK is not a good idea. I come back to the basic for a couple months : proper spinal breathing and proper meditation. I only add asanas on shoulders, and I?m going to learn nauli far outside of the sessions.
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  06:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Capucine,

Just a short note: Shoulder Stand and Plow are not indicated if there is a neck injury, glaucoma, or an acute infection in the head-neck region.

The good news is that these difficulties will pass. Warm wishes
Go to Top of Page
Christi
United Kingdom
3550 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  06:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply

Hi Capucine,

Holding the breath will do different things to the body, depending on where the air is, in relation to the body when it is held. Breathing in fully and then holding the breath will have a different effect than breathing out fully and then holding it. Both of these will have a different effect than if the breath suspends in the middle (kevala khumbaka).

If any of these cause discomfort, then go easy with them. Remember also to stay grounded in your daily life.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
capucine
France
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  04:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Now I?m feeling full of prana at the base of the spine during the day when I work (I?m sitting in front of a computer all the day long). It?s not comfortable because prana tends to go in genital parts. To avoid it, I rise it along the spinal column with small mulabandhas to push prana upwards from the root. It is ok ?

Another prana is in the belly, above nostril and heart. I don?t know what to do with it. I feel irradiate, like ecstasy, it?s disturbing.
I do my best to stay ground.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1558 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply

Take care not to overload, If ecstasy is uncomfortable see it as overload. Don't know what your practices are at the moment, but it could be that siddhasana has to be scaled back. Les minutes or not every day for instance. Mulabandha could also aggravate ecstasy.
www.aypsite.com/95.html

Go to Top of Page
capucine
France
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  09:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Thank you Charliedog, you?re so right !

At noon, I had to do something which have made work hard the abs and has added to ecstasy. After, and now, ecstasy becomes pain and heat in base of spine, belly, nerves of legs and hands. Really overloaded.

I had recently Sarvangasana (on shoulders asana) : I?m going to stop and reduce it. I don?t practice siddhasana each time because it?s indeed powerful. I have to give me more time and learn to be very patient.

Yoga is so powerful.
Go to Top of Page
SeySorciere
Seychelles
1153 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  04:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply

Dear Capucine,

Reading through this thread you are clearly taking on too many practices too soon. I would scale back and self-pace if I were you.

Good luck with your practices

Sey