Author Topic: mulabandha clarification  (Read 165 times)

AYPadmin

mulabandha clarification
« on: August 12, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »
makouda
France
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
I'm reading lesson 55 of advanced yoga practice but I don't really get how to properly practice mulabandha "I'm not a native english so words can be confusing" . it's said
quote:
we lightly flex our anal sphincter muscle and hold it. that's it

1 - flex the anal muscle means contract it

2 - most importantly : we keep the anal muscle flexed during all Pranayama practice inhalation an exhalation  or only in inhalation

Edited by - makouda on Aug 20 2017 08:19:43 AM
Christi
United Kingdom
3550 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Makouda,

1. Yes, flex means contract.
2. Different people use mulabandha in different ways. You can certainly hold it for the whole duration of pranayama. It can also be used for just part of your pranayama practice. It could also be used only on the inhale and released on exhale. This is something that people often find happening spontaneously as they practice and is caused by prana beginning to move. Technically, if the lock is being applied and released in a rhythmic fashion, the practice is referred to as ashvini mudra rather than as mulabandha.

See this lesson:

Lesson 119 - Some Other Approaches to Mulabandha

Christi

Go to Top of Page
SeySorciere
Seychelles
1153 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  02:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Dear makouda,

Welcome to the forums. Do note that we have french translations of many of the AYP lessons and booklets. The french version of the mulabandha can be found here:

https://www.aypsite.ch/lecon_055

Best of luck in your practices

Sey