Author Topic: Light on Pranayama  (Read 564 times)

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Light on Pranayama
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »
I recently bought Light on Pranayama by B.K.S. Iyengar, and I'm glad I did.  The instructions are great and in depth.  In my personal opinion, Light on Yoga was not that great...but this book is superb.  After practicing for a week now as prescribed, I have to say the techniques are very effective, quite safe, yet also terribly challenging.  It takes a lot of focus to practice correctly...and it would be very good if the practitioner has already been practicing Iyengar style asanas for a while, as well as being used to sitting up straight in meditative postures without a back rest.

Yogani's lessons here at AYP provide a very safe and effective means of pranayama, when followed in order.  They don't differ much from the hints in Iyengar's book.  Light on Pranayama is good simply to learn more about the details of the practice.  I give it a 9 out of 10.

I detract a point because there is a lot of times where he talks about the yogic path in general, Patanjali's 8 fold idea, meditation, etc...I think someone who is buying this book would already have a foundational knowledge.  This stuff just takes up space, and half of the time I don't think it's from his personal experience but he is simply writing it because it's part of his beliefs on yoga.

Beyond that...the book is great.  Check it out if you feel the need to go in depth with your pranayama practice.  You will not be dissapointed![:)]