Author Topic: The Heart of 21st Century Kirtan  (Read 1069 times)

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
The Heart of 21st Century Kirtan
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:42:43 PM »

Hi All,

I started to do one of my standard, (cough) [:o)] "content rich" posts ... but then, felt moved to let these videos speak for themselves.

Girish's "Hanuman".

Krishna Das's Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Both of these guys are the real deal, all the way; Bhakti Yogis, straight from the Heart.

What you see in those clips is their practice (meaning: it's not performance; even the upbeat stuff is invoking the Divine, invoking the Real.)

Gotta share this one, too; it's the chant of KD's that got me into kirtan in the first place:

Krishna Das's Hare Krishna.

Aum Hridayam*,

Kirtanman

PS - And yes, this is exactly the type of kirtan I do, I've chanted every tune on the Yogamates videos, with each artist listed, on multiple occasions.

*Aum Hridayam = "Heart is where the AUM is" [8D]

Eitherway

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:22:06 PM »
Wow!   Thanks Kirtanman.  Ist time listening overwhelmed by the beauty of it.  If you get a chance try to listen to some of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's qawali (sufi religious music).  Has more of a lyrical content but a similar vibe of bhakti and love shines through.
peace

matangi

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:06:17 AM »

Kirtanman, thank you so very much for sharing your love of this joyful bhakti!  I've ordered 5 CD's - 2 of Girish and 3 Krishna Das.  It is just what I need to rev my bhakti!

I am so grateful for discovering AYP and I love practicing.  Listening to, singing with, and moving to kirtan helps the love of my practice flow!

I bow in thanks.

And so the moral of the story is....you just keep on posting  those "content rich" posts because you never know who or how you serve.

Love, Light, and Joy -

matangi