Author Topic: *Fitness* Yoga  (Read 617 times)

meenarashid

*Fitness* Yoga
« on: May 03, 2007, 11:42:17 PM »
So have been sharing yoga classes for a while personally feel that all is yoga husband has even said you could be doing karate and you would still be doing yoga ..

so here in michigan ( i dont know if its like this everywhere) there is a large call for *fitness yoga =just the postures

this is not too easy to teach!
always felt and feel it even more now that if people really just wanted a nice tush they would be on a stair stepper reading the gossip column ( or whatever)  we come to yoga classes for various *reasons* but we all just really want freedom moksha liberation love to feel GOOD to feel aum
 a while back would not teach these types of classes actually quit at lifetime fitness due to the fact that they say no meditation try not to use sanskrit etc etc
 now at a new place same deal going on.. but rather than run am wondering if its not a wonderful challenge to learn to adapt
but it is not easy! but i have to wondr if its not almost snobbishness for me to refuse to share yoga in settings that dont feel like *worship to me...
 one thing that did come out of lifetime fitness that makes me wonder if i should just go with the flow no matter what ... is that  when i taught there i would still get into bandhas & stuff

well when i quit months later a teacher says.. arent you so and so from lifetime? im all yea... he says after you quit we were told to get more into the bandhas cuz everyone really appreciated it

any thoughts on this ?
aum
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:48:00 PM by meenarashid »

yogani

• AYP Plus
*Fitness* Yoga
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:58:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by meenarashid

so here in michigan ( i dont know if its like this everywhere) there is a large call for *fitness yoga =just the postures

this is not too easy to teach!
always felt and feel it even more now that if people really just wanted a nice tush they would be on a stair stepper reading the gossip column ( or whatever)  we come to yoga classes for various *reasons* but we all just really want freedom moksha liberation love to feel GOOD to feel aum
 a while back would not teach these types of classes actually quit at lifetime fitness due to the fact that they say no meditation try not to use sanskrit etc etc
 now at a new place same deal going on.. but rather than run am wondering if its not a wonderful challenge to learn to adapt
but it is not easy! but i have to wondr if its not almost snobbishness for me to refuse to share yoga in settings that dont feel like *worship to me...
 one thing that did come out of lifetime fitness that makes me wonder if i should just go with the flow no matter what ... is that  when i taught there i would still get into bandhas & stuff

well when i quit months later a teacher says.. arent you so and so from lifetime? im all yea... he says after you quit we were told to get more into the bandhas cuz everyone really appreciated it

any thoughts on this ?
aum

Hi Meenarashid:

This is true everywhere, and we can be happy that so many are finding a doorway into yoga via the physical route. It is a matter of offering comfortable ways for folks to "spread out" in yoga from there, according to their own inclinations. It can happen quite naturally.  

One of the AYP books directly addresses this issue:

Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas - Awakening Ecstatic Kundalini

The title is deliberately provocative, and the contents are fairly logical in terms of presenting the case for looking beyond the mat in yoga, which is looking within, of course.

Don't run. Gently offer integrations of the physical aspects of yoga with deep meditation and pranayama. Everyone has it in them, and it is happening everywhere, even in the most physical studios. People inherently want more. The studios will play to the market as the market evolves. And it is! I am convinced that the yoga studios have a key role to play everywhere, serving as launching platforms to much more. It will take some time. [:)]

The guru is in you.

meenarashid

*Fitness* Yoga
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:27:30 AM »
aum thank you Yogani! i may need to buy some books eh was looking at another one of yours on amazon earlier

noticed something alot of the time have my hand in mudra & after teaching different places  running into people i see this mudra popping up all over
not saying it has to do with me persay but am noticing it in people who ive practiced with, was so sweet the other day there is a woman and her 13 year old who practice at the same place i share yoga and practice at well they came to some of my classes then later was practicing next to the13 year old only to notice her hand in chin mudra which is something ive adopted in 99.9% of my hatha practice( & the rest of life as well:)

aummm

ugh seeing the *I* trap here...

aum