Author Topic: Foot numb in siddhasana  (Read 387 times)

AYPadmin

Foot numb in siddhasana
« on: July 26, 2019, 08:24:55 AM »
compassion
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  02:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
For a long time I have used only my left heel under the perineum to good effect; however when using the right, about halfway through the practice my foot goes numb. This makes for a slightly less comfortable 'rest' period after practice, while I go through the pins and needles of feeling returning!

Easy solution to to use only my left heel under, but it would be nice to interchange freely. Any advice on how to get there? Is this due to tight muscles/hips? Is there any particular asana that would loosen them up? I had been hoping that simply practising siddhasana for some time would be enough, but seems at least not yet.
Ecdyonurus
Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  02:59:32 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Left-right difference is quite normal, according to many sources... and also to my experience on my own body.

There are many asanas for more balance, but you need a skilled teacher who can adress this, or you can even make the imbalance worse if your asana practice is wrong.

Also, try to sit on something like a folded blanket or a bolster allowing a higher posture so that both legs can be comfortable. In my case, I have to sit pretty high (about 25 cm). In other words, don't strain to put the right leg like you can do with the left - find a comfortable sitting posture for the right leg and use the same posture for the left leg.

I have bad knees that don't allow me to sit in siddhasana for long time, but using that approach I found a sustainable crossed legs posture that is comfortable for both legs. I use this posture on days where knees are not too painful. On other days I just sit on a chair. Both is ok for me.
Go to Top of Page
compassion
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  12:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Thanks Ecdyonurus!

It's not a strain to sit in siddhasana so it's not immediately obvious what the problem is. I'll try to sit a bit higher though and see if that helps!
Go to Top of Page
Ecdyonurus
Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2016 :  1:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
It can be a very subtle strain on some nerves. Let me know if you find a solution. Wish you alll the best.
Go to Top of Page
kensbikes100
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  9:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I'm using siddhasana nearly twice a day, about 35 minutes each time all told. Part of the adjustment for me is to scootch around to find the most comfortable pressure pattern on the feet. Problems can include ankle bone pressure, the foot being "pinned" between the thigh and calf muscles of the opposite leg, foot crushed under the body against the floor. Nerve pressure can be a part of any of those pressures.

The adjustments have to be small and subtle, it can take a little while. It really helps me to have the Iyengar training I've had for the past several years, but it's really just taking it slowly and carefully. At the same time, sometimes what's necessary is the back/neck/cranium alignment, ear/shoulder/hip joint, and other upper body factors.

I can totally appreciate the benefits of the asana/sbp/DM sequence, but I think it's important to have more formal training in asanas to be able to negotiate situations like this. But, take it slow no matter what.

Or, change to half lotus, virsasana, or simply cross-legged.
Go to Top of Page
kensbikes100
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  07:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

It can be a very subtle strain on some nerves. Let me know if you find a solution. Wish you alll the best.

Ecdyonurus, can you elaborate? I'm going from being relatively comfortable in siddhasana (with back supported) to finding blockages during pranayama.
Go to Top of Page
Christi
United Kingdom
3543 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Christi's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kensbikes100

I'm using siddhasana nearly twice a day, about 35 minutes each time all told. Part of the adjustment for me is to scootch around to find the most comfortable pressure pattern on the feet. Problems can include ankle bone pressure, the foot being "pinned" between the thigh and calf muscles of the opposite leg, foot crushed under the body against the floor. Nerve pressure can be a part of any of those pressures.

The adjustments have to be small and subtle, it can take a little while. It really helps me to have the Iyengar training I've had for the past several years, but it's really just taking it slowly and carefully. At the same time, sometimes what's necessary is the back/neck/cranium alignment, ear/shoulder/hip joint, and other upper body factors.

I can totally appreciate the benefits of the asana/sbp/DM sequence, but I think it's important to have more formal training in asanas to be able to negotiate situations like this. But, take it slow no matter what.

Or, change to half lotus, virsasana, or simply cross-legged.

Hi Kensbikes,

For siddhasana, I advise people to use a high cushion. Something like a zufu is ideal. If you are having problems, then the higher the better, or even using two at once is fine.

With a good sitting cushion, your sitting bones will be raised high off the floor. Sit to the front of the cushion, so that there is space between your perineum and the floor. The when you bring one foot underneath you for siddhasana, the heel of that foot will only be lightly touching the perineum.

The ball of the foot that you are using for siddhasana, will only be gently touching the opposite thigh and may not be touching the calf of the opposite leg at all.

Doing this there is only light pressure on the floor with the foot you are using, no issue with trapping between the thigh and calf of the opposite leg and no issues with trapped nerves because no nerves are trapped.

It can take a bit of time to get used to it, but it doesn't require any special training.

It may also be useful to explore which point is ecstatically sensitive to the pressure from the heel. It may not be right in the centre of the perineum, but could be off slightly to one side by an inch or so.

If you are finding blockages during spinal breathing pranayama, that is quite normal and the blockages will clear over time simply by continuing with the practice.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
kensbikes100
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  11:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Christi, did you mean a zafu? If so, do you have a recommended type or brand? I see them in a circular shape, and in a more heart-like shape.

I tried sitting up on a 2" cork yoga block, but did not like it due to the sharp-radiused edge. It did relieve my legs and feet, however.
Go to Top of Page
Dogboy
USA
1588 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  10:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
A folded blanket offers two advantages, you can adjust the height and you don't have to buy anything
Go to Top of Page
spiderjen29
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2019 :  7:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hey! I've heard a few suggestions when I researched this problem. So basically, it's to sit higher, like what others are suggesting. The other recommendation is to get accustomed to it. Not sure if the second suggestion is true since I haven't tried it myself, but it is what I've heard.
Go to Top of Page
kensbikes100
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I don?t think this means to just take it and bear your cross. I think it simply means to find an adaptation that enables effective pranayama without discomfort. Use of a zafu, blanket or other elevation fall into this bin, as do alternate ways of sitting such as siddhasana, swastikasana, bhadrasana, virasana, baddhakhonasana, and padmasana. Any asana one may choose could require some optimization or tuning to become effective for you.