Author Topic: a question about fertility  (Read 671 times)

Hari

a question about fertility
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »
Hi to everyone,

This is the first time I am posting so I hope this is the right place for the subject I'm addressing.

My husband and I have been following the practices described in the yogani books for a year now, to great results. But we are about to face a change of circumstances which some of you may have gone through already.

We are thinking of trying for a baby some time in the new year. We will have to give up the tantra for that (of course!) once the time comes - temporarily anyway.

I was wondering about amaroli. Is it true that it suppresses ovulation and is as effective as birth control pills? I read this in a book on yoga years ago, I can't remember the title but it seemed to be suggesting yoginis use amaroli as a form of birth control. Elsewhere I have read that amaroli is overall good for fertility of women and men.

My final question (though it doesn't apply to me right now) is, is it safe to practice amaroli during pregnancy? Perhaps that's something a woman with child would know instinctively, but I thought I would ask.

Many thanks to you all in advance for your insight into this query.

Love,

Hari

NagoyaSea

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
Hello Hari.  I wanted to welcome you to the forum.  I don't practice amaroli myself, but from the classes I've taken, I would not consider amaroli a form of birth control or think that it suppressed ovulation.

We're glad you're here. Welcome!

Kathy

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:01:25 AM »
Hi Hari, and welcome to the forum.

quote:
I was wondering about amaroli. Is it true that it suppresses ovulation and is as effective as birth control pills? I read this in a book on yoga years ago, I can't remember the title but it seemed to be suggesting yoginis use amaroli as a form of birth control. Elsewhere I have read that amaroli is overall good for fertility of women and men.

I spoke to a medical doctor this morning about the amaroli issue. He said that women normally have a small amount of oestrogen in their urine, but that the amount of oestrogen would not be high enough to interfere with ovulation if a woman was to drink her own urine. So amaroli is not a form of contraception.

What you have heard may be related to the process of natural vajroli, which can occur in women who have been practicing advanced yoga for a long time. When natural vajroli occurs, sexual fluids are drawn up into the bladder. In women these sexual fluids may increase the oestrogen levels of the urine to a point where amaroli could begin to interfere with ovulation and menstruation.

As far as I know, most medical doctors do not yet recognise the process of natural vajroli, so it would be difficult to test this theory other than by measuring the oestrogen levels of the urine of a woman who was experiencing natural vajroli.

As the process continues, the sexual fluids are drawn up into the stomach where they will be partially broken down and re-absorbed into the body. In this case, if these fluids contain a high enough oestrogen level to interfere with ovulation and menstruation, it would happen with or without amaroli.

There are reported cases of women in India who stopped experiencing menstruation at an early age as a result of practicing Yoga, so this could be the cause.

Wishing you all the best with your planned pregnancy!

Christi

Hari

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »
Hi NagoyaSea and Christi,

Thank you both so much for your replies and for your welcome. I feel welcome! Mostly thank you Christi for asking your doctor about this, and for the detailed information in your message. Yes, you're right, now that I think about it, it was vajroli not amaroli that the book was describing.

The important thing to bear in mind at all times I suppose is how powerful the Yoga practices are, even to those who are new to it such as myself.

I'm going to carry on with all the daily practices for the time being. I'll keep you posted as to how it all works out.

Love to you both, and thanks again xx