Author Topic: Spinal breathing visualization question  (Read 641 times)

AYPadmin

Spinal breathing visualization question
« on: April 16, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
Ionia
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  8:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
Hey everyone,
I?m fairly new to this particular practice and was hoping you could help me clarify where exactly my focus of visualization should be. I?ve been sort of visualizing my spine in front of my inner vision and tracing the path with my attention from that ?outside? point of view and I just realized this may not be usual/correct. Is it important to be tracing the path with your attention actually inside the spine?
Thanks!

Dogboy
USA
1711 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  8:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Welcome Ionia

Yogani?s advice from lesson 229:

quote:
: It is everyone's tendency to begin spinal breathing looking from the outside, imagining the tiny thread of a nerve between the perineum and brow. Over time it internalizes due to the rise of inner sensory experience. The experience of the cool and warm currents is the beginning of that, an excellent "handle" to bring the attention inward during spinal breathing, and that is why it is discussed in the lessons (#63). On our journey from external to internal, we can imagine being inside, but not to the point of strain, as this will detract from the natural flow of spinal breathing. It is like meditation in that sense - we just easily favor the direction we want to go in, not forcing.

There are many forms of spinal breathing (Lesson 206). This is acceptable because spinal breathing is not nearly as delicate a procedure as deep meditation due to the physicality of breath, which regulates the overall process. So, there is room for variations while maintaining effectiveness. This is not so with deep meditation, which involves the management of attention only. That is why we are "stingy" with our attention in meditation, always favoring the easy procedure of picking up the mantra and letting it refine naturally to stillness in the mind.

In spinal breathing, as long as we are slowing down (restraining) the breathing and cycling the attention with it going between the brow and the perineum, it will work. Due to this relative sturdiness of spinal breathing, we are able to introduce and stabilize into habit many of the other practices in the lessons. It is relatively easy to incorporate new practices while doing spinal breathing without disrupting our practice excessively. Of course, if we shift to the crown instead of the brow in our attention cycle with breathing, all bets are off. That dramatically increases the risk of instability of our inner energies.

As long as you end the inhale at the third eye and the exhale at the root, you should be fine. Visualizing the spine can be done with soft attention/intention. Hope this helps.

Ionia
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2020 :  9:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Dog boy,
Thank you very much. That was just what I needed#128522;

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:28:05 AM by AYPadmin »